guitar discussion

• Start date
  • Replies 243 Comments
  • Views 18,991 Views
No stereo ins or outs for now. I'm working on a bunch of dual overdrives/distortions, fuzzes, compressors, boosts, and I have a delay pedal that sounds great. They're all analog-based and the idea is to cram them in as small an enclosure as possible.

I'll have modulation pedals out next year. Still so much to learn, especially with DSP stuff.

The same pedals I'm working on will also be available in a "tone module" form factor for people who use loop switchers. You can see a handful of tone module prototypes on my IG feed. 😎 Have no idea if people will adopt these, but I've been messing with them for months and they make tons of sense if you use a switcher.

Matty, we’ve come to the realization that this Jaguar we have purchased (and it’s singke coil pickups) needs a good Compression pedal.

We are looking at either a Diamond or a Keely.

Matty, we’ve come to the realization that this Jaguar we have purchased (and it’s singke coil pickups) needs a good Compression pedal.

We are looking at either a Diamond or a Keely.

I've been messing a LOT with compressors lately, even made my own Diamond compressor clone. It's great but it's super transparent like a studio compressor. If that's what you like, the Diamond is one of the best there is. Another option is the Keeley Compressor Pro which is also a quiet and transparent studio-grade compressor/limiter. The Keeley Pro probably has the most complete feature set of any stompbox compressor.

I myself tend to use compression as an effect so I prefer the super-obvious squishy compressors like the Dyna Comp and its army of clones. Keeley's small-box compressors (2-knob and 4-knob) are both variations on the old Ross/Dyna Comp circuit. The old Boss CS series use a different type of circuit but the end result is similar - it squishes and swells and pumps very not subtly. I believe the intro to Under the Bridge was run through a CS-2. I love that type of sound.

I've been messing a LOT with compressors lately, even made my own Diamond compressor clone. It's great but it's super transparent like a studio compressor. If that's what you like, the Diamond is one of the best there is. Another option is the Keeley Compressor Pro which is also a quiet and transparent studio-grade compressor/limiter. The Keeley Pro probably has the most complete feature set of any stompbox compressor.

I myself tend to use compression as an effect so I prefer the super-obvious squishy compressors like the Dyna Comp and its army of clones. Keeley's small-box compressors (2-knob and 4-knob) are both variations on the old Ross/Dyna Comp circuit. The old Boss CS series use a different type of circuit but the end result is similar - it squishes and swells and pumps very not subtly. I believe the intro to Under the Bridge was run through a CS-2. I love that type of sound.

Yeah I was torn between the Boss CS, the Diamond and the Keeley. Compression on my pedal board will be one of those pedals that I always have on so I think I’m going to go with the Diamond. That makes sense, right?

I have plenty of other pedals that will be on only sometimes (EH Cathedral, TC Flashback, Vox Wah, Micro POG etc).

Yeah something like the Diamond is great as an alway-on comp, works well with dirt too.

We are having a tough time finding a new Diamond CPR-1 Compression pedal.

Dealers listed on the official Diamond site all say they don’t stock these. Reached out to Diamond and they told me to contact a dealer in Virginia Beach.

:bennyhill:

Weird. They're fairly ubiquitous here. Then again Diamond is Canadian.

Matty, I just found another MUST HAVE (serious GAS) pedal.

Mosaic by Digitech. It’s a Polyphonic 12-string effect.

Cool. Might want to grab one now since Digitech and DOD are likely being shuttered. Their entire staff was fired a few months back so both brands are just empty shells as we speak.

Wow I had no clue.

You are very dialed into the industry. Huge Gamelive Guitar Discussion asset.

:bowdown:

😎 I've met tons of people who work in the industry over the past year. Couple of my customers work for Roland/Boss and TC Electronic. It's a surprisingly small world.

Tronnay! Look what these guys have crammed into a micro enclosure:

ZEXwc0T.png

http://compiq-mini.becosfx.com

Tempted to get it for R&D purposes. Looks wicked.

After a ridiculous amount of time spent scouring the ends of the Internet in search of the best compression pedal for me, I’ve decided on the Diamond (which as of now I can only find used which I don’t love) or the Wampler Ego (with Blend control).

I like the subtle simplicity of the Diamond but I’m not a fan of buying used pedals. The Wampler will require way more tinkering (which I’m not a big fan of) on my part but I’ve yet to hear anyone do anything but rave about the Wampler.

Wampler Ego should do the trick indeed. I'd buy it over the Diamond cause I'm more of a fan of the squishy Ross circuit it's based on. :up:

He's my stable right now - my favorite is the middle one, a bona fide '74 Dyna Comp. The one on the right is a '77 and it's identical inside, I own it for strict hoarding purposes. :dunno:

pxoF8b3.jpg