Floyd Landis Admits Steroid Use, Lance Armstrong Also Named

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
After spending the past four years appealing his positive drug tests as well as publicly pleading his innocence, it has been widely reported that the American cyclist Floyd Landis admitted Wednesday that his entire cycling career had been based upon regular use of performance enhancing drugs. In a number of emails sent to senior cycling officials over the past few weeks it is alleged that he has admitted to drug use throughout his career, including during the 2006 Tour De France as well as implicating other officials, team owners and athletes. A phone called with ESPN.com is reported to have seen him admit to use of testosterone, human growth hormone (HGH), frequent blood transfusions, insulin as well as female hormones.

Landis hit the headlines in 2006 when he broke Lance Armstrong's dominance of the Tour De France as he took the victory in the closest three rider finish in the history of the event over Spain's scar Pereiro and Andreas Klden of Germany. However, in stage 17 of the 20 stage event he tested positive for testosterone at levels way above World Anti Doping Agency rules which came to light a fortnight later and he was stripped of the victory which was handed to Pereiro.

damcjaacn.jpg

Since the positive test, his career appeared to be a commitment to clear his name which initially began in September 2006 where he requested an appeal at an arbitration hearing held by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) and it came to light that of the eight samples provided by Landis during the race, four of them tested positive for the presence of synthetic testosterone.

Following an initial defense that the heightened levels of testosterone were as a result of dehydration from excessive whisky consumption, which was either an inspired or insane defense, his team reverted to claiming that administrative errors in the doping program resulted in a mix up of samples. Considering the evidence presented, it was little surprise that his two year disqualification was upheld which was followed by a failed appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in 2008. Despite this Landis has continued to attempt to clear his name, including setting up the Floyd Fairness Fund to highlight injustices in drug testing and also to provide money for his defense fund, which makes the revelations all the more fascinating especially since they appear to implicate his fellow competitor Lance Armstrong, the seven time winner of the Tour De France.

In one of the emails, reportedly addressed to Stephen Johnson the President of US Cycling, Landis alleges that Armstrong's coach introduced him into the practice of blood doping as well as introducing him to the use of steroid patches and HGH. With no official comment by Armstrong, who has constantly been dogged by doping accusations throughout his career despite never failing a drug test, it would seem that this story has only just started to unravel.

For the sake of the sport of cycling hope Armstrong is never revealed/proven as a cheat....Nice write-up guey :propeller:

Everyone is a cheater in every sport until they get caught and exposed. If we didn't put so much emphasis on records and stats no one would have even cared for cheating because competing isn't always about winning.

If these admissions have really happened, it casts a new and idiotic light on Landis. This whole business of devoting years of his life to clearing his name and setting up that foundation to bring justice to victims of faulty steroid testing. It would all be so beyond pathetic.

I am unclear on the source of this new information. Seems a bit hazy at this point with unnamed officials and alleged correspondence. Anyone can throw that kind of talk around. If there was a phone call to ESPN, has ESPN reported it? I guess not or I assume this would be presented differently.

Not that I ever doubted the guy was cheating but hopefully the story will get some teeth.

Landis does not have as much heart as Armstrong.

True story.

Landis is such a scum bag

Since we are talking sporting events here being done by professionals, I think they should just let these guys take whatever they want. Iin the end, it is just entertainment, and I for one would like to see the competition of a big pack of juiced atheletes riding up the mountain side on their bikes doing 30 mph, or 100 homeruns a year by some dude whos arms are so big, he needs to hire a ass scratch boy, or perhaps a weight lifter who can bench press a school bus but can't find his nards without the use of a microscope.

Nothing would happen to the sportsbetting community because we all think these dudes are cheating anyway, the lines would adjust, but the entertainment value would go through the roof. If your worried about what the message is to young up-incoming players of professional sports, don't, because in 25 years when these dudes start having serious helath issues, maybe that will persuade them not to go on the juice. Then again by the time they retire at 35 they have 500 million in the bank, so I'm sure they don't care about the brain cancer.

RW, that would not be good for the kids. Can't people just enjoy sport without feeling pressured to take drugs, be better than they are, prove something?

I am all for the excessive whiskey defense however.