fat cats soup kitchen

• Start date
  • Replies 29 Comments
  • Views 2,381 Views
BB, any decision yet on the wardrobe of the waitresses?

203848044.jpg

tell that one to gain 25 pounds and re-apply, seor chango. only ribs we serve at fat cats soup kitchen are the ones for the beef broth.

enigma, please go wait in the bar and watch some walker, texas ranger until your table is ready.

will do. it'd do me some good

Bay Bud, you need fried pickles and burgers.

You need seneglase soup with smoked chicken

#24 hot & sour shrimp soup with lemongrass, aka the jimmy nguyen

hot & sour shrimp soup with lemongrass
one of my favorite soups, and surprisingly filling. it will draw the #24 hole on the menu because jimmy 'toy cannon' wynn was a great baseball player.

along the way i once found myself teaching english, or americanese, to some electrical and mechanical technicians assembling specialized oilfield equipment. it was mostly vietnamese and the goal was to just make it easier for them to talk to manufacturing engineers and clearly understand detailed drawings of the stuff they were putting together.

we would have the classes during lunch sometimes, and one day i brought some of this soup to warm up for my noon meal and gave some to one of the vietnamese to try. there was a lot of excited talk i didn't understand, and my soup was passed around to the rest of the class. they were surprised, i think, when they found out i shopped at the same markets in the same area of west houston that had a ton of great shops and cafes for all asian foods.

one thing i learned about my travels over in the orient and southeast asia is that those folks are absofuckinglutely picky and nuts when it comes to a huge variety of fresh seafood. and when i say fresh, i mean still alive in a lot of cases when you start preparing it.

it's imperative that you make fresh seafood broth for this soup.

1 pound shrimp, heads on
3 stalks lemongrass
4 cups water
1 15-oz can straw mushrooms (drained)
1 med. tomato, peeled, halved and sliced thin
1 lime, juice & zest
2-3 green onions, 1-inch slices on the diagonal
1 cup bean sprouts, rinsed & dried
4 tbslspn. fish sauce (nuoc mam)
1 tspn. chili-garlic sauce
cooked white race (2-6 servings)

let's start with the lemongrass. i wasn't too sure what to do with it the first time. peel back the outer layers until you get to the white core. with three stalks, you will be left with three pieces about 1-2 inches long. you can use the rest to add a lemon flavor to some other broth later, store in a good ziplock for 3-5 days in the fridge.

pound those lemongrass hearts flat, set aside.

remove heads from shrimp, peel and devein, saving the heads/tails/shells to make the broth. Put the heads/tails/shells in four cups water, bring to a bowl, add the lemongrass pulp, cover and remove from heat. let stand two minutes. strain off the shrimp carcasses and lemongrass.

in the broth go the mushrooms, lime juice and zest, plus the tomato slices. bring to low boil, reduce heat and simmer 4-5 minutes. add shrimp, fish sauce and chili-garlic sauce, stir and simmer 2-3 minutes or until shrimp is done.

serve over rice, garnish with green onions and bean sprouts, add more chili-garlic sauce, if you dare. makes more than enough for two to enjoy as a full meal, or to serve to 4-6 as an appetizer.

next please. im making this vegetable broth right now.

edit: somehow i missed the above post. that one looks good.

#37 chorizo-kale soup, aka the rachel ray

chorizo-kale soup

chorizo, see below
olive oil, e-v-o-o according to rachel ray
3-4 med. white potatoes, peeled & diced fairly small (half-inch cubes, no bigger)
2 med. onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, smashed & chopped
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 pound kale (thoroughly cleaned and rough chopped)
15 oz. can of garbanzos/chick peas (drained)
15 oz. can diced tomatoes
sea salt & fresh ground pepper

i have a crush on rachel ray. she's not really my type overall, but she's got such a cute derriere. watching her show one day, she made this great soup with portuguese chorizo, kale and garbanzos. i paid attention to the ingredients in between the parts where she walked back and forth to the refrigerator and sort of leaned over the sink to show me how to rinse and clean the kale. what a nice tush.

but when i went to the store to get stuff to make the soup, i couldn't find real portuguese style chorizo. i've been in texas all my life and what i think of as chorizo, the mexican style, is totally different. but i tried it as a sub anyway, and actually like the soup better with mexican chorizo. whichever style chorizo you choose will make it a completely different soup. the portiguese chorizo comes out a bit more like a stew to me, and the mexican style turns out like a spicy vegetable soup really.

if you go the portuguese route, you need a pound. mexican style, a half-pound. you will also add them at different times depending which one you choose. remove the casing from the portuguese style and slice into half-inch pieces. stand by with the mexican chorizo.

both styles start with olive oil, onions, garlic and potatoes for about five minutes, stirring in some salt and pepper. if you want mexican chorizo, squeeze it out of its casing next and render it down. then proceed.

if you're using portuguese chorizo (or have already added your mexican chorizo), add the kale next and cover on a medium heat for a couple of minutes. the greens will shrink down. add more salt and pepper, then the portuguese chorizo, tomatoes and garbanzos, stir for a minute. add the broth. here, i prefer veggie because chicken broth seems to take away from the flavor of either chorizo. bring to slow boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. serve with some hot, crusty bread, makes six good-sized bowls.

#14 chicken cheese enchilada soup, aka chuy bravo

sopa de pollo y queso

1 large white onion, small chop
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 fresh jalapeos, seeded and fine chop
2 small cans original rotel tomatoes
6 cups chicken broth
lb velveeta cheese, -inch cubes
2 lbs boneless chicken breast, grilled and chopped
chopped green onions & tortilla chips for garnish
fresh & hot corn tortillas to serve on side

very simple soup, spicy and filling. i like that little dude chuy bravo on the chelsea lately show, and i reckon he would like this soup, so i'm naming it for him.

start with the chicken. you can do it any which way you want. i've often used the leftovers from a fajita cookout. simple grill would be to marinate the breasts in some beer and fresh lime juice, then dust with some cumin, garlic powder and black pepper, cook over a nice charcoal fire. wrap in foil and let it stand a bit while you're getting the rest of the soup going.

start the onion, garlic and jalapeos in a little olive oil over a med-high heat, stir for a 2-3 minutes. add the two cans of rotels, stir and bring it to a quick simmer. add the chopped chicken and stir some more while it heats back up, then the chicken broth. bring this to a bubble, reduce to low-med and cook 30 minutes.

increase the heat a tad and add the cubed velveeta a little at a time, stirring until that is all melted/blended together. this will make about 10 really good bowls of soup; you can easily increase the amount if you need to feed more (or just want it to be cheesier tasting) by adding more broth and cheese. it freezes well for up to two months by my testing. great soup to pull out on a wet, chilly afternoon when your feet are cold.

serve by topping the bowl with a couple of tortilla chips and some chopped green onions, serve with good fresh corn tortillas along with a cold and crispy mexican beer. serve the beer in short glasses in honor of chuy bravo.

#7 cheap cheesy noodle soup, aka nanny susie

ramen noodles plus

now you have to first understand that my venture into southeast asia, particularly thailand and singapore, in 1976 was a life-changing experience. if you don't understand that, this soup will never taste good to you and you should never try it or buy it. i think this will always be on the dollar menu at fat cats soup kitchen.

while traveling in se asia, i ate a lot of soups/stews that seemed strange since it was never really soup weather. back then, you could get the packets everyone calls ramen noodles for about a dozen per singapore dollar, which was then roughly $1-$2.50 usa. you wouldn't believe what some people could do with a dish starting off with a 7-cent 'mix'.

i had relatives in singapore and went to visit, and while there met a local cook named susie who taught me how to cook several local treats on the cheap. one of them was to take one of these noodle & seasoning packets they sold and beef things up, literally sometimes by adding beef. i believe those soups sold for about a dime singapore then, less than a nickel american, and i still see them offered for 6-8 for a dollar in these parts today.

one of the the cheapest ways to beef 'em up is with one egg and a couple slices of velveeta. the velveeta part is something my sister, nicknamed nanny, started to do along the way. in addition to being cheap, it's also the quickest meal you can make outside of picking your nose.

ingredients
1 package ramen noodles
1 egg
2 slices of velveeta

follow directions on ramen noodles pack. three minutes into that cooking process, crack an egg into the boiling mixture and stir for another minute. pour into large bowl, top with the velveeta slices.

other things i've added to ramen noodles recently: yesterday's left over grilled chicken breast, chopped; dried onions and dried peppers; fresh carrots and broccoli; lime juice; cilantro & green onions; bacon, shrimp, thinly sliced pork tenderloin.