• Start date
  • Replies 18 Comments
  • Views 769 Views

Boner_18

Since
Oct 5, 2010
Score
Tokens
I've often had an idea that you start a site surrounding a major issue or issues at the crossroads of sports and society. Anthem kneeling, social justice issues, MLB CBA/player lockout and you get sign-ups from the public along with a promise to do something that negatively impacts the actors you're looking to influence - the NFL or MLB or whatever.

So for example, my first vision for this was www.blackouthalftime.com. I forget what the issue was but you get thousands of people to agree to tune out from the Super Bowl half time show (and thus ignore the advertising) unless the NFL agrees to do allow Kapernick to kneel, take draft picks from the Pats for deflategate, [insert request here] doesn't matter.

Now I want to register the domain in the subject and get MLB fans to pledge to tune out from their stated teams broadcast for X number of regular season games and Y potential playoff games if there isn't 162 games (or 154 or whatever if we start now).

I think these things could get good traction and maybe even get some acknowledgment by the orgs (not do the thing requested but existence acknowledged)... but I guess ultimately how do we get paid... I guess that's always my concern. How do I exploit the people who come to my site thinking it's some benevolent group interested do-good organization?

Essentially it's a petition site but with a whole site/(faux) movement behind the "cause".

Merch?

Yeah I mean it's all pretty half baked. Merch, subscriber/user lists for sale, straight extortion of the leagues, etc. I dunno.

How do you plan to get traffic to the site?

Would it be change.org but for sports?

70% of MLB players make less than a million dollars. Skeezy, sheisty hedge fund managers make more than 70% of major leaguers.

Let’s boycott the shady, greedy owners, boys.

The mlb owners are making plenty of money. Take a look at how some of the non bonus baby minor leaguers live.

100% of MLB players make more than half a million dollars a year. I think they all suck, let's boycott the entire organization!

In 150 years of MLB, fewer than 20,000 people have played in a major league game.

As Matty pointed out, these people are the elite of the elite of their craft.

Again, I side with the players.

I'm not siding with the owners or the players, I'm siding with the fans (i guess against both). To act like there's not enough room for a compromise and holding both sides accountable for failure to reach it fans contribute to the deadlock.

Earlier in this debacle, the owners waited 43 days to respond to an offer from the MLBPA.

There are about 8-10 owners of teams that play in cold environments that never had any intention of playing games in April of 2022.

Games are being cancelled because of the owners not the players.

I’ll cancel NESN after the Bruins season.

The Red Sox and Bruins own nesn, with the Red Sox with majority ownership and both teams games are shown on nesn.

I’ll cancel NESN after the Bruins season.

The Red Sox and Bruins own nesn, with the Red Sox with majority ownership and both teams games are shown on nesn.
I support the players, having said that *IF* MLB.tv has a deal on the season pass I might just order it.

Tully is in!

I was thinking I'd commit to 30 calendar days of no Yankees to start the season and no game 1 of any series they play in the playoffs.

Boner and Tron, how often do you guys watch a full regular season baseball game?

Beginning to end? Zero. We get in to bed typically around 9 and we'll probably watch an episode of some show unless the game is really compelling. I rarely, if ever, stay up for the end of a game.

Some portion (1hr+)? 120. As long as the Yankees are on the east coast or I central time zone they're on the tube in my house all season long.