Curling

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
I'm not a major curling nut but it's a fun sport to watch, especially if there are some nice looking ladies playing. So I was looking on Pinnacle to check the lines - for the men, it's Canada -139 vs The Field. I can understand that since most Canadians live in igloos it's probably a good game to play on those long winter nights while they wait for their seal blubber to cook. Then I looked at the odds for the ladies and again Canada are the favorites, The Field is there as an option. But there is another country there. Canada are +143, The Field is +181 but there is another country at +145. That country is China. Can any curling sharps tell me why China are big players in women's curling?

Re the Chinese women, it is easiest for me to copy something I posted earlier today:

The Chinese women are a very good bet IMO. They are a government sponsored professional team that has done nothing but curl for several years (where all the other competitors have regular jobs).

They have gone from being nowhere on the radar about three years ago, to making it to the World Championship final 2 years ago, to winning it all last year. I want to shake my fist and call them a bunch of devil-worshiping commies but they are such sweet girls.

But hopefully the Canadian ladies will take them out. They are capable for sure. Canadian curlers are always dangerous.

So are China just making a statement of the might of communism just on ladies curling? That's pretty sneaky. Are there any other Olympic events they're trying to dominate?

I know for a fact the Chinese women curlers train in Canada and are coached by Canadian coaches.

I saw a news story on this the other day.

Canada's role in China's success

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/curling/story/2009/10/24/sp-curling-jones-china.html

Delivering her country an Olympic gold is Wang's goal.

"This is our dream," she said. "I think it would help more kids play back home."
How did China become an Olympic medal threat so quickly? For starters, good old-fashioned hard work. Curling is all they do they live, breathe and practise curling. It's their job.

Wang's father runs the hockey program at the Harbin Sport School in northern China. He got his daughter involved in curling when they decided to start a program, and the team now plays at a two-sheet club in Harbin, the only curling ice in China.

But they mostly live and train in Canada.

"It is so great to train in Canada because there are so many good curlers and we can learn from them," Wang told me after she beat Kleibrink.
They have a Canadian coach. They train through the winter in Leduc, Alta., and play in just about every Canadian women's cash spiel their schedule allows.
So if they strike gold in Vancouver, the Chinese team might give a nod to the Canucks who've helped them.

now that is pushing something with a broom down a path of ice right?

I hate to say it but the Canadian men at -139 versus the field is a very bad bet. We have an excellent team on paper but our Skip Kevin Martin has made a habit of losing (some would say choking) at the highest level of International competition. He is like the Atlanta Braves of the 90's. He makes it to the big stages often enough but has only won 1 World Championship. He has been to Worlds and Olympics about 5 or 6 times so that is not a great batting average deserving of -139 odds against the field.

Even setting aside any choking issues, it's tough. Other teams are very good. The same Scottish team that beat Martin in the World Championship final last year are there.

Canada is a very good bet to make it to the playoffs but you get into single game eliminations and shit happens.

So are China just making a statement of the might of communism just on ladies curling? That's pretty sneaky. Are there any other Olympic events they're trying to dominate?

Yeah good question. I keep waiting for the Chinese male curlers to appear on the scene but not so far.

I don't know what the diabolical maniacs are up to.

now that is pushing something with a broom down a path of ice right?

Ideally they use the broom to sweep the ice ahead of the rock. Pushing the rock with the broom would be a foul however perhaps if it was done when no one was looking . . .

How do you get the rock to go down the path if you aren't pushing it? Mental telepathy?

I hate to say it but the Canadian men at -139 versus the field is a very bad bet. We have an excellent team on paper but our Skip Kevin Martin has made a habit of losing (some would say choking) at the highest level of International competition. He is like the Atlanta Braves of the 90's. He makes it to the big stages often enough but has only won 1 World Championship. He has been to Worlds and Olympics about 5 or 6 times so that is not a great batting average deserving of -139 odds against the field.

Even setting aside any choking issues, it's tough. Other teams are very good. The same Scottish team that beat Martin in the World Championship final last year are there.

Canada is a very good bet to make it to the playoffs but you get into single game eliminations and shit happens.

that was a low blow...

how much weight are they curlings?
how many reps?

the Chinese steroid laden broads may have an advantage

how much weight are they curlings?
how many reps?

the Chinese steroid laden broads may have an advantage

I don't know if this was meant as a joke or not, but it is hilarious either way :rofl:

If the Chinese don't win, are they ever seen again?

How do you get the rock to go down the path if you aren't pushing it? Mental telepathy?

I think you gently push it at first and yell "hard" at it.

So its like that Daft went on?

I fell in love with Cassie Johnson last time around...

cassie.johnson.gif

But alas, she has not returned, and I find myself heartbroken.

Now Canada +159, China +161, The Field +146 at Pinnacle.

Can any of our igloo inhabiting cousins advise which countries we should be looking out for in "The Field"?

Re the Chinese women, it is easiest for me to copy something I posted earlier today:

The Chinese women are a very good bet IMO. They are a government sponsored professional team that has done nothing but curl for several years (where all the other competitors have regular jobs).

They have gone from being nowhere on the radar about three years ago, to making it to the World Championship final 2 years ago, to winning it all last year. I want to shake my fist and call them a bunch of devil-worshiping commies but they are such sweet girls.

But hopefully the Canadian ladies will take them out. They are capable for sure. Canadian curlers are always dangerous.

Mudder, you forgot to mention they have PAID CANADIAN coaches. That is how they got there so fast.