Canucks defenceman suspended for hit

• Start date
  • Replies 21 Comments
  • Views 1,453 Views
Who determines if a hit is legal or not? Can you be suspended if you do a legal hit that injures someone badly?

Well usually it's the refs, but they typically fail so suplementary discipline is handled by the league. People get hurt all the time on plays that look "dirty" but are legal. Look at the Chara hit on that Montreal dude. It was a typical hit that happens often in the NHL. Legal hits that result in injury do not and shoudl not warrant any suspension or penalty.

Discipline committee???? I don't think there is a committee Blitty. I know a single person (formerly Campbell) handles discipline and now it's Mike Murphy. Shanahan will be the new league disciplinarian for next season so I don't think there's a comittee. These dudes may and do consult with others in the league, but I do not believer there's a committee. Maybe call Gary and ask him, but I dout even you woudl get a straight answer from him.

Mike Murphy said there was committee, so the heat would be taken off him. The fact is if Murphy suspended Burrows for game 2, most of the crap that happened in game 3 would have never occurred. Murphy fucked up, and doesn't have the balls to admit it.

The bottom line is the suspension was totally excessive. I just watch ed CBC HNIC and they showed Scott Stevens hits and they were way worse/violent that this hit.