A.J. Pierzynski And The Phantom Ball

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
When you are in your mid 30s and in the last year of your contract, I'm sure that most baseball players would be a bit uncertain of the future come the end of the year. They might even start to get a bit edgy when they are struggling to keep their head above the Mendoza Line over a week in the season and things get even worse when your back up is hitting .333 in his pinch hits replacing you. Maybe that might do strange things to a player, maybe it might make them imagine things that didn't happen. That sounds far fetched but that's something that appeared to have happened to A.J. Pierzynski, catcher for the Chicago White Sox, on Tuesday in the game against the Toronto Blue Jays. After facing Blue Jays pitcher Ricky Romeo twice and striking out twice, he came up to the plate in the 8th inning and appeared to get hit on the foot by a 90mph fastball in the dirt.

From his reaction, like a sack of potatoes had just been dropped on his foot from a great height, it was clear to the viewer (and more importantly the umpire) that he had been hit by the pitch. However, the replays clearly showed that the ball never even grazed him. Perhaps this is a medical phenomenon - in such a way that amputees still claim feeling in their long since departed limbs, maybe Pierzynski wanted to reach base so badly that his mind fooled him into thinking he had been hit. Or maybe he is just a dirty old cheat. Sadly, we may never know.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and hoping this medical condition doesn't deteriorate like it seems to have done with Cristiano Ronaldo, the Real Madrid midfielder and 2008 Footballer Of The Year, who suffers a highly advanced case of Phantom Leg Syndrome. Whenever he gets near the opponents penalty area, he has a bad habit of tripping over the leg of a defender who doesn't exist. Here is was in action at the weekend where no amount of diving could prevent Barcelona beating Madrid 2-0 and become the favorites to win La Liga.

AJ, has been involved in more controversial plays than any other player in the MLB I can think of in the last 5 years...

guy will do anything to win

Pretty good convincing reaction by Piezynski. Made me chuckle.

However it would be good if they would suspend guys that do shit like that. Suspend him and also make him take a pitched ball to the ribs before he can play again.

Same with the soccer player. League officials, on seeing the replay, should suspend him. That stuff just makes the game look retarded. Suspend him for the wussy dive and also give him a good kick on the leg.

aj2.jpg

direct correlation

I love the idea of suspending guys in soccer especially. That stuff gives soccer a horrible name. It makes it almost unwatchable for me and most other Americans.