• Replies 4 Comments
  • Views 322 Views

vagabond

doldrums
Since
Sep 12, 2010
Score
Tokens
Haley Morris-Cafeiro is the head of photography department at Memphis College of Art. She is also fat. She set up camera in public spaces to capture the reactions of passersby towards her. The series is called Wait Watchers. Though some of the photographs depict a critical/negative look, I am not sure about all of them.

http://haleymorriscafiero.com/

A couple of pics:

cop.jpg

hunted.jpg

Terrible, paranoid work. I don't see anything here out of the ordinary. Even if some depict a "negative/critical" look, I am not sure those looks are directed at her. If they are, it could be for a number of reasons. It's not like she is 700 lbs. I am sure these people have seen fat people before.

Yeah I have seen people do little video journals where a lovely slim model will do a bunch of stuff, then she will get into a fat prosthesis and do the exact same stuff - and the difference in treatment is tangible. It's a real thing.

But this little collection of photos is nothing.

Paranoid --> good word for it.

yeah, shes not fat enough that people are freaking out because of her fatness. But I've seen people who were so huge I couldnt help myself saying holy fuck. Probably loud enough for them to hear. Imagine dealing with that all day.