Devilwoman

Not the New Guy
Since
Apr 5, 2010
Score
Tokens
Police say 12 confirmed dead in Arkansas floods
By JILL ZEMAN BLEED (AP) 22 minutes ago

CADDO GAP, Ark. Heavy rains triggered flash floods along a pair of southwestern Arkansas rivers around dawn Friday, killing a dozen people trapped in remote valleys after the water rose as rapidly as eight feet in an hour.

Floodwaters inundated campgrounds along the normally peaceful Caddo and Little Missouri rivers, swamping hikers and campers sleeping along the rivers' banks. This area of the Ouachita Mountains includes second homes, hunting camps and a number of U.S. Forest Service campgrounds.

"We don't know who was in there last night," State Police spokesman Bill Sadler said. "This is a very wide area."

Brigette Williams, spokeswoman for the American Red Cross in Little Rock, said that between 200 and 300 people were believed to be in the area at the time of the flooding. She did not know how many of those were campers and how many were local residents.

Williams said the Red Cross would provide shelter for anyone displaced by the flooding.

Sadler said 12 people died in the floods and that officials were setting up a temporary morgue in a refrigerated truck.

Complete story: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gTJioKmEcYR7qOaIAsX9CmwOy0VgD9G97A3G1

I heard where the river was 3 feet deep when these people went to bed and rose to at least 20 feet by dawn. Sad.

I heard where the river was 3 feet deep when these people went to bed and rose to at least 20 feet by dawn. Sad.

Yes it is very sad. I hope they find the rest alive.