• Replies 26 Comments
  • Views 1,366 Views

roguejuror

rouge
Since
Jan 24, 2010
Score
Tokens
Starlink got FCC approval to launch 7,518 satellites to create a mesh network for direct internet connections anywhere around the world. This thing is going to change everything. Text it.

No, it's going to be a service like Verizon or ATT. Difference between this and current satellite internet is that right now satellites are high orbeting and mostly on a fixed position and are terrible at upload speeds. These will be orbeting at a much lower altitude allowing them to use different frequencies and they will be networked together. Net effect for the customer will be high speed internet that rarely drops with low latencies (gaming, video calls etc.) at ANY location. Right now internet outside of cities suck, with this it'll be like having Comcast in the middle of the Grand Canyon.

So when am I gonna be able to get decent internet without Comcast or century link?

So when am I gonna be able to get decent internet without Comcast or century link?

Starlink is taking pre-orders to be delivered for the 2H of the year. $100/m for no data caps, test are showing around 25 ms latency. Boys I have a dream that my ten little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the speed and location of their internet but by the content of their character. I have a dream today!

Bit spendy
Screenshot_20210210_113641_com.chrome.beta.jpg

Matty what type/speed of internet you get right now in Owen Sound?

It's cable with Rogers. Download is fine (300 mbps) but upload speeds are crummy (30mbps max, and I rarely get above 15). There's no way to get more than 30 upload through any ISP. It's a bit insulting being deemed a town of consumers/suckers rather than a town of creators/uploaders.

Starlink is taking pre-orders to be delivered for the 2H of the year. $100/m for no data caps, test are showing around 25 ms latency. Boys I have a dream that my ten little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the speed and location of their internet but by the content of their character. I have a dream today!

So as the average guy like me, will I be able to have it this year and will it be that big of a difference in regards to what i have now?

the rural communities will benefit greatly
kato is for the small guy

So as the average guy like me, will I be able to have it this year and will it be that big of a difference in regards to what i have now?

Yes it's open to anybody, they are actually already selling it in a limited capacity, this new pre-order is for the wider general release. The reason for a pre-order system it's because they will limit the amount of people subscribing the first couple of years as they get more satellites up, from around 6k satellites up right now to around 40k.

It depends what you got right now. If something like Matty's numbers I wouldn't get it, if you got cable internet with around 100mb downloads speed I would stick with cable. If you only have DSL with something like 10 mb downloads yeah definitely. Like kato says rural or remote parts of town people will be the ones that benefit the most as they only get phone lines DSL.

What you got right now and how remote are you in town?

my only problem is that my att pad keeps throwing me off hotspot for some reason, periodically. But I don't think I'm being throttled. My nhl thing keeps buffering and fucked up, but all other streaming is fine :dunno:

Yes it's open to anybody, they are actually already selling it in a limited capacity, this new pre-order is for the wider general release. The reason for a pre-order system it's because they will limit the amount of people subscribing the first couple of years as they get more satellites up, from around 6k satellites up right now to around 40k.

It depends what you got right now. If something like Matty's numbers I wouldn't get it, if you got cable internet with around 100mb downloads speed I would stick with cable. If you only have DSL with something like 10 mb downloads yeah definitely. Like kato says rural or remote parts of town people will be the ones that benefit the most as they only get phone lines DSL.

What you got right now and how remote are you in town?
I’m in a middle of a city in NY. I have the fastest speed Spectrum has available. Not sure what that is honestly