• Replies 124 Comments
  • Views 11,508 Views

CASPERWAIT$

Twitter @wernerhotdog
Since
Aug 3, 2010
Score
Tokens
Last Thursday, i get a text from my boss in the AM asking me to come by the bar for a "talk". In my business, a text like that means "you're fired". Crazy thing is since I've settled down a bit, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was going to be talked to about.

When I got there, all my coworkers were milling about chatting. As soon as they saw me, it got eerily quiet. I quickly realized, whatever I was about to hear, the entire restaurant already knew. Let me tell you, I felt like a dead man walking.

After being brought to the back room, I proceeded to sit down. My boss had a piece of paper in her hands. I was certain that was my "walking papers". Thankfully, it was only a sheet listing the days specials.

My boss gave me a talk about how a certain girl was uncomfortable with me calling her "honey" or "honey bunny". Mind, you I did it, not to hit on her, but to get her attention. Nothing more. This same girl was upset because she thought I yelled at her earlier in the week over answering the restaurant phone. Yes, these are the tedious things we get upset about in the business.

Come to find out, those terms are considered sexual harassment regardless of the context. I was quite shocked. I work with roughly 15 different females and the other ones seemed fine with how I spoke to them. All it takes is one to cause a mini drama episode it seems.

I wasn't fired. Wasn't suspended. Just a long talking. Am I the only one here ever accused of sexual harassment in the workplace? Any of the Gamelive females ever harassed? Just a weird feeling being called in for something so small IMO.

Oh honey.

Is that really all they pinned on you? I feel like we're missing some information.

i.e. We need honey bunny posting here.

Very sorry to hear this man. You gonna lawyer up? Sounds like a bs dismissal.
Seems like you've been there for awhile and it was a good gig for you. You and the gf still gonna be cool?

Never been accused of anything myself.

I never understood why waitresses will call people honey, or vice versa. But never baby. Is baby more serious than honey?
There's one that calls everybody darling. Anyway, don't do that unless we have a special relationship or/and you wanna blow me.

Very sorry to hear this man. You gonna lawyer up? Sounds like a bs dismissal.
Seems like you've been there for awhile and it was a good gig for you. You and the gf still gonna be cool?

Never been accused of anything myself.

didn't get fired

Oh, oops. Misread ty Archie.

Now all you have to do is work in shame, that's not so bad I guess; you probably already were.

Enjoy.

They are covering their ass. Calling subordinates by "pet" names is inappropriate in any office setting I know. She is probably much younger and finds it creepy. Some people just use those words routinely...honey, sweetie,etc...I would imagine you are ok to call customers honey. ..maybe not honey bunny..."hon" seems much safer. Maybe not at all? . Reno, yes baby would be "worse."

I'm sure it was a little embarrassing, but not that big of deal. THe hard part will be scaling back if you are used to using those terms. I assume they want you to stop using them with every employee not just this one girl? I think most women enjoy terms of endearment from the opposite sex, unless they feel it has an underlying motive.

Keep your head up sweetie ;). I'm glad you still have your job, but it's not that big of deal on a first offense. Live and learn.

Last Thursday, i get a text from my boss in the AM asking me to come by the bar for a "talk". In my business, a text like that means "you're fired". Crazy thing is since I've settled down a bit, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was going to be talked to about.

When I got there, all my coworkers were milling about chatting. As soon as they saw me, it got eerily quiet. I quickly realized, whatever I was about to hear, the entire restaurant already knew. Let me tell you, I felt like a dead man walking.

After being brought to the back room, I proceeded to sit down. My boss had a piece of paper in her hands. I was certain that was my "walking papers". Thankfully, it was only a sheet listing the days specials.

My boss gave me a talk about how a certain girl was uncomfortable with me calling her "honey" or "honey bunny". Mind, you I did it, not to hit on her, but to get her attention. Nothing more. This same girl was upset because she thought I yelled at her earlier in the week over answering the restaurant phone. Yes, these are the tedious things we get upset about in the business.

Come to find out, those terms are considered sexual harassment regardless of the context. I was quite shocked. I work with roughly 15 different females and the other ones seemed fine with how I spoke to them. All it takes is one to cause a mini drama episode it seems.

I wasn't fired. Wasn't suspended. Just a long talking. Am I the only one here ever accused of sexual harassment in the workplace? Any of the Gamelive females ever harassed? Just a weird feeling being called in for something so small IMO.

it's not because it's sexual, it's because it's SEXIST!!!!!

No woman would call a guy "sweetie" or "honey" at the office, so you shouldn't call a woman ANY thing that would be so demeaning in the work place. If I had been the woman you called "honey" I would have flat out schooled your ass right then and there.

Most women I know wouldn't want to be called honey. And honey bunny is totally over the line and retarded. Pull that shit on the hags that have made slinging drinks their career. These young chicks workin part time until their life truely starts via an education don't wanna hear your pro lingo.

I don't even call the bartender "honey" or even "Hun" after 14 drinks and 6 shots.

Even half in the bag I'm smart enough to know people don't like to be called that.

Problem might just be you're a moron.

When you need to call someone hunny, find the chick that wears an armband on her serving tray arm because her wrist or forearm is all fucked up from years and years of carrying trays. That's your girl. Leave the other chicks alone. They think you're a creep and a loser for making slinging drinks your life's work.

exactly, Housepicks! Seriously Casper... you got what you deserved re: the talking to from your boss. But seems like you didn't quite understand why what you said is wrong for the work place.

Women have it hard, even still, in the workplace. Less pay, more to live up to, blah blah. If we're strong, we're a "bitch." If we're nice, we're "cute and sweet."

Speak to others how you would like to be spoken to - with workplace respect.

WAIT WAIT WAIT... I Reread this and I I guess i had glossed over the above highlighted bit the first time...

Are you fucking kidding me Chris?

A lot of women are too passive, scared of causing a disturbance, etc. than to say something to you directly or to your boss. This woman who stood up against you, the workplace sexist, is the hero of your story.

You fucked up at work by being a sexist. Now you have to get with 2016 and speak to women as your equals. And what do you do instead? You came here to bitch about it and plead your case to a bunch of dudes who you hoped would agree that this one woman was in the wrong.

I hope your girlfriend smacked you upside the head when you told her about this!

It's not "small," Chris. The way you treat women in the work place is seen by EVERYONE in your work place. Be a role model, not a sexist.

Cali, explain the less pay for same work part. I often hear this, how does it work? Are the jobs they comparing exactly the same or is it in general?

Google it dude. Women get paid less than men for the SAME jobs.

IAG
I think most women enjoy terms of endearment from the opposite sex, unless they feel it has an underlying motive.

Not in the f-Ing work place. What the hell. How could a woman say that regarding a professional situation? IAG, I had thought more of you.

Cali, I appreciate and respect your point of view. The majority of the women I work with came to me and told me they thought the way I interacted with them was beyond okay. They actually "miss" my persona now. I do see what you are conveying though.

As far as what Housedicks said, I wouldn't know because I have him blocked, but I will assume it was his usual stupid name calling rhetoric. Agreeing with anything he says is akin to agreeing with a drunk Donald Trump hopped on meth and hooker juice.