• Start date
  • Replies 14 Comments
  • Views 1,144 Views

wal66

Since
Feb 1, 2010
Score
Tokens
I am standing over my tee shot on the 18th hole yesterday and I know I am misaligned. My feet are out of position and I am contorted in my stance in relation to the hole. I recognize this before the shot yet for reasons I cant explain I proceed with the shot anyways. The resulting shot was not good to say the least. I attempted to correct myself mid-swing and came over the top as well as releasing the hands early and the ball took off on its ill-guided way swiftly to the left and into tall pines and thick rough.

The story of the shot itself, even the fact that I managed to save bogie on the hole is not the point of the story though. The focal point here is the fact that before I ever pulled the driver back I knew I was setup all wrong. I knew before the ball was hit that I would have to make incredible corrections in order to pull the shot off. I knew all this and instead of simply correcting my stance and my alignment I tried the shot as I was.

This simple scenario is played out in my everyday life over and over again. I know when I am headed down a bad path in life or about to make a terrible decision yet I dont change it before hand. I can recognize it but I dont change it. Why? How hard is it to say, hey, this isnt right. Let me do this instead?

Am I alone here or do you find yourself in that same position in your tee box of life?

Amby, you've never done something knowing full well before you did it that it wouldn't turn out well? Never?

This really made me thing about the Car Bomb story when it comes to my life. Thank you for the analogy, very insightful and well put. Might help me learn the lesson a little better.

Amby, you've never done something knowing full well before you did it that it wouldn't turn out well? Never?

can't say that I have....or nothing that i can think of at least.

This simple scenario is played out in my everyday life over and over again. I know when I am headed down a bad path in life or about to make a terrible decision yet I don’t change it before hand. I can recognize it but I don’t change it. Why? How hard is it to say, “hey, this isn’t right. Let me do this instead”?

Do you remember when we got into it in that thread about sexy children? (<-- God help people that stumble into gamelive without any back-stories)

At one point I suggested that maybe you back out of certain arguments because you don't want to risk giving it your best shot and losing. It's safer, in a way, for one's ego, to give it a mediocre shot and quit. I wasn't trying to be mean. I wouldn't even recognize that kind of behavior if I wasn't intimately familiar with it from my own life.

My point, in relation to this thread, is that behavior like you're describing, behavior that you know is not in your best interest, but that you keep repeating, is happening for a reason. In some way you're benefiting from it. It can be hard and painful to dig for those reasons. They're usually not flattering.

i line up at least 50 degrees left of where i want to hit the ball

i line up at least 50 degrees left of where i want to hit the ball

Wait. Are you speaking metaphorically, or are you talking about golf?

Durito I'd like it if you lined up 180 degrees from my balls.

i am a good golfer.