psychiatrists and psychotherapy - good stuff or quackery?

• Start date
  • Replies 14 Comments
  • Views 2,504 Views

psychiatrists and psychotherapy - good stuff or quackery?

• Total voters

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
This has been a lively topic among some of my friends from the recovery community lately. I would point out that they agree unanimously that group therapy can have huge benefits. But the subject of one-on-one with shrinks is more controversial.

I guess I'll turn this into a poll. For some people, the issue is not that black and white but I would ask that you vote with your strongest lean.

Strong lean towards quackery with the caveat that I have no doubt that discussing personal issues with someone (anyone) is helpful.

I think it depends if that person utilitizes a different outlet normally. If not, it could help with the right shrink. I would guess that it isn't effective and likely counterproductive more often than not.

Simple answer! I know that I am alittle crazy so since I realize I am alittle crazy that means that I am not really crazy! People who are alittle crazy but don't realize they are alittle crazy then they indeed are alittle crazy and should seek help!:wacko:

My vote is "good stuff." While my personal experience with it years ago was negative, I feel sure that someone who wants to be helped can be helped.

Certainly the chances of success are increased if the helping professional is not loony as a bedbug.

if you are a moron and rich then yes it can be worth it

if you are poor not worth it

if you are smart won't help at all

most people, and particularly smart people, are much much more helped by cognitive behavioral therapy, which is basically something that tries to make you stop doing things you already know you shouldnt be doing, and/or start doing things you already know you should be doing, with a smack-you-over-the-head style approach

most people's unhappiness is not caused by not knowing why they are the way they are, it's cause by bad habits that they are too unmotivated in the short term to break

psychiatrists are an enormous racket

I actually wish I had gone into that myself

its like "ok let me get this straight.....all i have to do is sit there and listen to complete nutjobs tell me about all the fucked up sh*t they do......my job is to "help them" in any way I feel like, but there's no objective measure of whether I'm doing it or not, and no one standing over me monitoring anything I do, I can do whatever I want and there are no consequences at all attached to anything I do......and I get paid 6 figures for that????"

damn i should have gone into that field

and i am sure even doing a half assed job i would have wound up actually helping way more people than are usually helped by it

Muddy, I bet part of the discussion is about, is it easier to open up amonst those who share the same issues or with just one person? I know for myself I am pretty open about most things either way. I have no secrets and even the things I am asshamed of I can be open and honest about them. I am sure though many people would be influenced and adapt to an environment where there is so much support as with a group setting. Whereas they could be more on point and maybe be more open to suggestion in a one on one situation.

Notice, I did not poo poo on you.

It is a huge topic that can be attacked from many angles.

I know people who have seen therapists and lied to them - who would then say they got nothing out of it and the whole thing is quackery. Which is stupid IMO.

I know people who have been doing one-on-one therapy for years and say that that is proof it works (yet they never seem to get less fucked up).

It is not a black and white issue. Here's one thing I know: psychiatrists can be a very good place to get drugs. I am lucky I survived my encounter years ago with a free-prescribing psychiatrist.

Maybe we watch too many movies that it always seems like a joke when the people are in the room getting the therapy? I feel the world is going crazy anymore that who can you go to for help?

Went to 4 sessions with a psychologist last year, mostly out of curiosity. I stopped going when I realized I had spent the previous 20 minutes giving him a list of my favorite authors and books. I still thought it was helpful, but not to the tune of $85 for 45 minutes of hearing myself talk (I have no private insurance). I am now going through the process of finding a public-sector psychologist - I got no deep-rooted issues or childhood trauma that I know of, but I like the idea of bouncing off ideas about my life, the universe and everything to a 100% impartial "pro listener" that I don't even need to pay (or listen to in return.)

These people have the worst job in the world - your clients are invariably self-absorbed, self-loathing and/or truly messed up.

Last edited:
not worth it for most.

I agree group therapy has the most potential for certain types of people

I think it is a crutch for the weak. The company I work for just sold the division I work for to another company, and they sent one of those "Dr. Katz" types in to give the entire management team a psyco break down. It was fucking horrible, the dude asked me some questions that I wasn't about to be truthful about. I already know that people think that I may be a little psychotic and demeaning towards stupid people as a normal day to day operation. Sure, I can't spell well, or even use the english language like I was doing it my whole life, but I do have a keen common sense about me that tells me to never let anyone know exactly what the hell I am thinking. Especially some dude I just met. I don't care if he has a diploma on the wall, or that he isn't allowed to tell anyone. I am too cynical to belive that shit.
If you need a psyco freak to talk too, go to a way out of your normal neighborhood bar, and buy a dude or chick a drink and start talking. That way you can feel good about yourself maybe, and then you will never see that person again.

not a crutch for the weak, so much as a crutch for the chronically under-friended and under-familied.....

most benefits that you get from psychology you can get from loved ones. but Psychiatry is a bit different, as you can at least get presciption meds from them.

If you need a psyco freak to talk too, go to a way out of your normal neighborhood bar, and buy a dude or chick a drink and start talking. That way you can feel good about yourself maybe, and then you will never see that person again.

I actually enjoy doing this sometimes! I enjoy finding the most down and out person in the bar, buying them a beer and asking them to tell me a story that they don't think anyone is interested in hearing.

Produces some marvelous results from time to time.