• Views 5,522 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
or some kind of income supplement.

It makes me very unhappy but the sports betting has been just barely sustaining me for awhile - and it seems to be slowly sinking rather than holding steady. One option of course is to be less conservative with my bets but that could go very badly too.

It's a complex situation but the bottom line is, I am thinking about seeking supplemental income. I don't know what that would look like. If I want to go for a job in the real world, what does my resume look like? Could I tolerate having a boss? Who would hire me? I'm not qualified for any good jobs; the only things I have ever done are warehouse and office drone kind of stuff. Ugh.

I have some vague ideas about inquiries I could make online.

I don't know. Depressing.

If I could live off of it I would just get a job in a guitar store. Sales dude. Seriously. Fok a bunch of typing. I'm a great salesman. And I like to make noise with my guitar.

Muddy get a job at Steve's.

Muddaaay!

Tim Hortons, pal. They are always hiring.

Get yourself a cashier job and pocket the cash from every 10th coffee you sell to increase your income.

PS: I may have to do this myself, maybe we could work together.

Keep at it muddy it should turn around

Keep at it muddy it should turn around

Nothing wrong with a supplemental income, if only for stress-reducing purposes. I have no idea how you 100% pros do it. Huge-ass rollercoaster even at fractional Kelly.

Nothing wrong with a supplemental income, if only for stress-reducing purposes. I have no idea how you 100% pros do it. Huge-ass rollercoaster even at fractional Kelly.
I know how Durito does it.

He attempts to impregnate his good looking (but very high maintenance) Colombian common law wife - every chance he gets (when not making wagers).

I expect Durito may attempt to deny this.

Nothing wrong with a supplemental income, if only for stress-reducing purposes.

This is my thinking here. Whatever I do, I will continue to bet sports. Obviously I would lose some of my effectiveness, but I think I could still do a good chunk of what I do - even with a full-time job.

Two incomes would be good. I have squandered so much money and I am actually slightly in debt right now. It would be a nice feeling to get back on the black side of the ledger. There are a bunch of reasons. There is some musical equipment I want to buy in the near future. Jenny and I may want to get a house.

Don't even get me started on the subject of retirement.

As I say, two incomes would be good.

I've been living off of gambling income for only about a year and a half now and banking other income I get for the 'just in case I die' scenario. How anyone does this and doesn't at least have that silver shock streak in their hair is beyond me. And I'm doing this with a security blanket.

Muddy, there are many jobs that you'd be qualified for because of your analytical skills. I'm assuming you have a great grasp at math as well so there's something else.

It's all just a matter of which skills you extrapolate from your current life and focus on when you're job hunting. If you concentrate on those, it'll not only help you broaden your potential target market but will narrow down what it is you'd be happy doing whilst working for the man.

any specific job ideas?

My thoughts go in 2 directions. There are real world jobs and there are online jobs.

I can think of real world jobs I had in the past that I would kill for right now. There was one that was ~25 hours a week at a small company and I was like a utility player who would flip back and forth between office and warehouse. Lots of variety. If I could get something like that at a reasonable hourly rate, it could be a nice supplement and still allow me to push forward with my betting research. I think I would be more likely to find something that was just office or just warehouse. That could be fine too. But I have experience at all kinds of stuff. Customer service, buyer, A/P, A/R, inventory analyst and all aspects of warehousing/distribution.

Full time job? Maybe. I mean, I just don't know if I could handle it. Bosses, rush hour grind, tedium, snotty customers who are too stupid to order things before they run out and then they expect me to kiss their ass. Do I have that in me any more?

My thoughts on supplementing online are more vague. I have all this spreadsheet data and knowledge. Maybe I could work for a site like Sports Insights?

I don't know.

Muddy, there are many jobs that you'd be qualified for because of your analytical skills.

Any employer here offering a decent paying job would more than likely want someone younger with a formal university education.

Canadians without university education can make big money working in the oilfields of Sask and Alberta.

I've been living off of gambling income for only about a year and a half now and banking other income I get for the 'just in case I die' scenario. How anyone does this and doesn't at least have that silver shock streak in their hair is beyond me. And I'm doing this with a security blanket.

Muddy, there are many jobs that you'd be qualified for because of your analytical skills. I'm assuming you have a great grasp at math as well so there's something else.

It's all just a matter of which skills you extrapolate from your current life and focus on when you're job hunting. If you concentrate on those, it'll not only help you broaden your potential target market but will narrow down what it is you'd be happy doing whilst working for the man.

That is a nice positive message but I am not qualified for as much as you might think. Or rather, I am qualified for quite a few things, but nothing particularly interesting. Certainly nothing that is associated with good money.

Even the things I am qualified for, I don't know how I will convey it on a resume. None of the companies I had major long-term jobs with even exist any more.

It's kind of fucked up.

Maybe music. Maybe I could put together an act or join an existing act.

Dunno.

Muddy let's form a Zappa cover band. We're gonna be rich.

That is a nice positive message but I am not qualified for as much as you might think. Or rather, I am qualified for quite a few things, but nothing particularly interesting. Certainly nothing that is associated with good money.

Even the things I am qualified for, I don't know how I will convey it on a resume. None of the companies I had major long-term jobs with even exist any more.

It's kind of fucked up.

Well, if you have no problem with fudging the truth a little, you can always say you obtained a degree (to rectify Plommer's dilemma) or at the very least worked in Australia for a few years. Doing... whatever. I have done this so many times for friends back home. And if I couldn't do it because my friend felt someone actually working at the Uni/bank/bar etc... would be a better ruse, then I've hooked it up. I wasted 8 years of my life in the Canadian post-secondary education system busting my ass to get my Masters only to find out that not many people actually check that shit. Even when I was applying for my Canadian Securities Course no one cared to verify anything. And they were entrusting me with total strangers' cash.

Muddy - you have worked wherever you have wanted to work and achieved whatever education you have wanted to achieve. As long as you're smart about it and don't overshoot your load, which I obviously know you wouldn't, the rest of this stuff is just minor details.

This is my thinking here. Whatever I do, I will continue to bet sports. Obviously I would lose some of my effectiveness, but I think I could still do a good chunk of what I do - even with a full-time job.

Two incomes would be good. I have squandered so much money and I am actually slightly in debt right now. It would be a nice feeling to get back on the black side of the ledger. There are a bunch of reasons. There is some musical equipment I want to buy in the near future. Jenny and I may want to get a house.

Don't even get me started on the subject of retirement.

As I say, two incomes would be good.

there's your answer. Put her to work man.