• Views 4,358 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
2 main reasons.

1) As irreverent as I may be at times, I do have a big, old corny kinda love for my country. I like the fact that, as hosts, we are going to show the world once again what good, wonderful people live here. And I think our athletes are going to do very well so I expect to be shedding tears more than a few times as our national anthem is played while some humble, appealing young Canadian receives a gold medal and has his/her life's dream come true.

I don't even really like our national anthem but I have no resistance to that stuff.

As for the big ticket events in my mind, the hockey and the curling, man I want to win those so much it hurts. I can't even let myself think about it.

2) I want these promo TV commercials I am being bombarded with TO FUCKING STOP!

I will watch approx. 6 minutes of the Winter Olympics. And even that will be by accident.

I will watch for 2 reason and 2 reasons only....skimpy ice dancer costumes and Hockey.

why the hell is this shit going on at the same time as the x games? are any athletes doing both?

why the hell is this shit going on at the same time as the x games? are any athletes doing both?

Xgames start this week I think...and the Olympic opening ceremony is in 2 weeks....so I would think athletes can do both.

oh ok. i guess that makes a little more sense

I can't wait for Olympic hockey to start. I'm a long suffering Leaf fan so I will finally be able to cheer for a hockey team to win it all.

Xgames start this week I think...and the Olympic opening ceremony is in 2 weeks....so I would think athletes can do both.

That's right. I know this because of the discussion I saw on Around The Horn yesterday. There are something like 54 athletes in the X-Games who will also be in the Olympics.

anyone got any solid olympics bets going yet?

I can't wait for Olympic hockey to start. I'm a long suffering Leaf fan so I will finally be able to cheer for a hockey team to win it all.

The Canadian Men's Gold Medal in 2002 was awesome. It is one of those I will always remember where I was when moments.

Well, I was right here. And they won and I walked out on my balcony and there was celebration in the streets. It went on for hours.

It turned out that the Canadian Women's Gold Medal in hockey in those games was also a fantastic, absorbing story with the weird American ref who appeared to be trying so hard to throw the game. But our ladies overcame playing short-handed for two thirds of the game and triumphed anyway. It was amazing drama.

I don't know if it is changing and younger people still feel the same, but there is something sacred about hockey in this country.

Hasn't been talked up as it should in the States...anybody gambling on these games

Nice.

I don't know if I'll be gambling or not. Some things may come along. You never know.

What I WON'T be gambling on is Canada in the hockey and curling. There are very few sports any more that I care about just for what they are - but those will be things I want to watch with only the purest of intentions.

Mudder,

Why not gamble on mens hockey?? I'm curious.

Can't wait for hockey. Our team is ridiculously stacked.

I'd be happy if Pucky and Matty could go out to enjoy a beer and watch their hockey team with pride.

Mudder,

Why not gamble on mens hockey?? I'm curious.

I suppose I could give a business reason which would be completely valid. All my betting is based on very large statistical samples and it is impossible to generate any workable angles on something as irregular as Olympic hockey tournaments.

(And just to be precise, I didn't say I wouldn't bet on men's hockey. I just said Team Canada. It is possible I may spy situations with other teams that I think warrant a recreational bet. Probably not but it's possible)

But as for Team Canada and this tourney - they mean more to me than money. It is the closest thing I know to religion. It is about passion. Having a wager on it would add nothing for me. It would cheapen it in fact.

I'm also looking forward to the Vanvouver Olympics held in Van Vouver, Netherlands.

Last edited:
No giving-the-finger smiley to direct pavy's way. :banghead: