• Start date
  • Replies 58 Comments
  • Views 3,507 Views

wal66

Since
Feb 1, 2010
Score
Tokens
Everyone has been dealing with the recession in one way or another for a while now but being that I work for the city outside of there being no raises and no cost of living increases our life was pretty much unchanged. Well all that is about to change.

State employees are now required to contribute 3% to their FRS (Florida State Retirement). On the surface that doesn't seem like a lot but it is a change and it does reduce everyone's salary.

What's more, at least at the city I work for they are also going to start making the employees pay for 50% of our insurance cost which for some like myself will be an additional $250 a month reduction. So my bottom line salary decrease is about to be roughly $420 per month less. That is basically a new car payment and I don't even get the luxury of driving it.

The only good news is for the time being at least the state will retain the DROP Program but instead of it accumulating 6.5% interest it will be decreased to 1.5%. I still have 8 years before I reach my 30 years and qualify to enter the Drop so it may or may not still be around.

I may have to seriously consider joining Plommer and drive trucks at the site. Plommer I have a Class B with air brakes. Also have 20+ years experience operating front-end loaders, apprentice loaders and backhoes.

I got buried on this too, Wal.

Rick Scott can go eat a bag of dicks.

Rick Scott strikes again. Sorry to hear Wallballs.

Getting squeezed in on all sides.

This is just the beginning though. The city can raise the rates only so much so eventually they will have to look elsewhere to cut cost which means payroll reductions and employees like myself who have been here so long and make a higher salary will be the first on the chopping block. Naturally that is nothing new for many places but it is here.

Plommer, I also have those same years of experience driving pump trucks.

It's been tough here too, tougher to get clients qualified. Recession=cant pay bill sometimes for some people=banged up credit = in combination with stricter guidelines less qualified people.

Remains a buyer's market though.

This is why I sell my ass on the street on weekends.

at least you know where your next check is coming from as long as your employed.
you got guaranteed money coming in every month.
some dont have that luxury.... or want it
FOK the man Wal, right in the anus

Plommer, I also have those same years of experience driving pump trucks.

Wallaaaay!

Pal.

You will need to find oilfield work in the Dakotas, foreigners/aliens (ie Americans) are not entitled to work in (Saskatchewan) Canada without a permit.

Wall, you can marry a Canadian and get residence, for the right price I will marry you - gay marriage is legit up here.

PS: I'll need to be paid in Canadian dollars up front (US dollars are almost worthless compared to the Canadian dollar), no offense pal, it's just business. (This means we will never consummate the marriage, pal.)

I am sorry to hear that wally.It seems like state governments all over are cutting back on everything.

The individual states seem to be where most of the pain of the economy is really taking place, laying off teachers, closing entire museums. revamping state pensions, changing the retirement age.

It seems like on a lot of state levels the economy never improved significantly or it may just be mismanagement and waste on the state level.

MMike, I've always wanted to do the work I loved and be my own boss but always been too conservative to take that leap. I could have made twice what I make had I became an independent operator but the safety of a secure paycheck was too easy.

Wally what about Gov. Scott gonna start random drug testing on all state employees? Will you be OK buddy???

:cono:

Wally what about Gov. Scott gonna start random drug testing on all state employees? Will you be OK buddy???

Are they testing for Estrogen and Progesterone?

I think he'll be ok.

MMike, I've always wanted to do the work I loved and be my own boss but always been too conservative to take that leap. I could have made twice what I make had I became an independent operator but the safety of a secure paycheck was too easy.

:greencheck:
totally understand...
I can make in a day/week/month twice what some college educated friends make ....
but its not gonna happen everyday/week/month
just gotta roll with the punches:casper:

I am sorry to hear that wally.It seems like state governments all over are cutting back on everything.

The individual states seem to be where most of the pain of the economy is really taking place, laying off teachers, closing entire museums. revamping state pensions, changing the retirement age.

It seems like on a lot of state levels the economy never improved significantly or it may just be mismanagement and waste on the state level.

It's crazy Greg. There was a time when budgets were made and you would get to the end of the year and there would be monies left in the budget that wouldn't get used. So if last years budget wasn't used up department heads new that this years budget would get reduced so they would spend crazy monies just so they would show a deficit. It was a STUPID practice by STUPID people.

We got a new city manager and when he got here 6 years ago he saw we had more than $11 million in the bank and stated that a city should not be that well off (we are a small city) and immediately started spending money. Today our reserves are less than $1 million. STUPID people being STUPID! We are one small city, imagine what it's like nation wide.

Actually Bread I am ok with that.

I have to work with people and sometimes the work involved is risky. I don't want my life in the hands of someone who is impaired. I don't have to work in the field much anymore but before I did what I do now I spent many a day out trimming power lines, riding the garbage truck and various other physical jobs and we've had stonners who worked here from time to time and while they do work they don't all work at the same pace as even my fat ass.

Wallaaaay!

Pal.

You will need to find oilfield work in the Dakotas, foreigners/aliens (ie Americans) are not entitled to work in (Saskatchewan) Canada without a permit.

Wall, you can marry a Canadian and get residence, for the right price I will marry you - gay marriage is legit up here.

PS: I'll need to be paid in Canadian dollars up front (US dollars are almost worthless compared to the Canadian dollar), no offense pal, it's just business. (This means we will never consummate the marriage, pal.)

Plommer, that's bullshit. We let illegals work here all the time, Canada thinks it's so much better than us?

Plommer, that's bullshit. We let illegals work here all the time, Canada thinks it's so much better than us?

You guys let illegals work at $30+ hr jobs?

Now that is bullshit my American friend.