FIFA Finally Agree To The Theory Of Video Replay

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
It was three months ago that Sepp Blatter, President of FIFA, shelved two years of research into the use of video replays in football for the foreseeable future. It was three days ago that Jerome Valcke, General Secretary of FIFA, confirmed this stance after commenting that the use of any technology is definitely not on the table. But in less than three days after the two R16 games on Sunday where England were denied a goal which clearly crossed the line and Argentina were allowed a goal which was clearly offside, the official FIFA position is changing.

faninaacg.jpg

Blatter announced Tuesday that the issue of technology within the game of football is now firmly on the agenda of the next meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB), the group that determines the laws of the game, which is scheduled for July. The IFAB is made up of the four countries of the United Kingdom who each have a single along with FIFA who have four votes. In order to change any football law, the proposal needs at six least votes so FIFA is not able to change any laws without the backing of at least two of the UK members. Conversely, FIFA is able to veto any proposals with their block vote so with the historical stance by FIFA being against the use of any technology, it was able to ensure there was no change to the game. At the last meeting, the football associations of both England and Scotland were supporters of trying to implement a solution to the goal line issue and so now with the surefire backing of FIFA it seems that a change may may on the way this time.

The installation of technology into sport is generally as a result of the sport being shamed by inefficient officiating with the FIFA turnaround coming five years after the trial testing of the Hawk-Eye system which came of the back of the controversial 2004 US Open quarter final between Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati where a number of wrong calls cost Williams the game. Coincidentally the Hawk-Eye
system used in tennis is one of the front runners for any potential technology infusion into football and which boasts accuracy to within 3.6mm in tennis which, although not perfect, will beat the human eye every time.

The workings behind the Hawk-Eye system transferred to a soccer environment, which is pictured below, has six cameras around each goal which are programmed to identify the football as the object of interest which then can accurately ascertain if the ball passes across the line by sending a message to the referee.

panheaacg.jpg

An alternative system, by rival manufacturer Cairos, places a chip within the football and the use of a magnetic field can detect whether or not the ball has crossed the goal line. But whichever technology wins this particular match, it seems that there will be a different World Cup in 2014 and although it probably won't be deciding any offside decisions it will certainly be deciding whether or not the ball crossed the line.

Sadly, if (and it should actually be when since it is surely close to 100% certainty that it gets implemented) it is installed in soccer then it will end in the short to medium term at just the goal line call. Soccer (and similarly baseball) should be fully cameraized like tennis and each team given X number of challenges per game for whatever reason they want to challenge. Would improve the accuracy of the game and the umpires overnight.

In cricket it works wonderfully. In the IPL its all part of the atmosphere, the crowd goes nuts with the calls.

I say go with cameras and make only calls with goals, penalties, and red cards involved.

I am always pro-replay. There are always those who resist.

I generally win.

Will be unfair if enforced since 90% of all soccer games worldwide are not televized and out of the 10% that are televized only 2% have multi-angle cameras.

I don't think you have to have the game televised to have cameras

Good point Pavy, I guess only the big leagues will able to afford this.

Will be unfair if enforced since 90% of all soccer games worldwide are not televized and out of the 10% that are televized only 2% have multi-angle cameras.

That was Blatter's position for years. I really don't care if there is a goal line issue on a Wednesday night soccer game in the Swedish 4th division but it discredits the sport when it happens at the World Cup.

The FIFA president apologized to England and Mexico. Big fucking deal. Doesn't change shit.

What happens when that thing malfunctions? It's not a simple replay. Looks like 4 things have to coordinate something.

And you know what a bunch of cry babies these football players are. They're going to be begging for a replay on every call.

Kudos to FIFA for recognizing the problem before blown calls could ruin a tourney that happens every 4 years.

If they allow replays for goals then they will want to allow them for penalty kicks, offsides, fouls etc. And what happens if it's a non-call? Who initiates the replay on an offside that wasn't but was called offside? Do they review it and then try to position all the players to where they were before the bad call and give the player a new chance to go on a one on one with the goalie?

I'm happy with the things the way they are now. Mistakes are part of the game. And they rarely affect the outcome of the game. Both Germany and Argentina were the superior teams and would have won regardless of the referee mistakes. There is a reason soccer is superior to other sports. It's traditional and does not need technology to slow it down to the point where every disputed play has to be reviewed by replay. What needs to happen is the addition of two additional linesmen that sit behind the goals for each team. They should have flags like the regular linesmen and should only use them to flag whether the ball has crossed the line but no replay should decide the outcome of the game. I like the simplicity of the game and nothing should be allowed to slow it down like meaningless and time consuming replay to reverse or confirm calls.

If they allow replays for goals then they will want to allow them for penalty kicks, offsides, fouls etc. And what happens if it's a non-call? Who initiates the replay on an offside that wasn't but was called offside? Do they review it and then try to position all the players to where they were before the bad call and give the player a new chance to go on a one on one with the goalie?

I'm happy with the things the way they are now. Mistakes are part of the game. And they rarely affect the outcome of the game. Both Germany and Argentina were the superior teams and would have won regardless of the referee mistakes. There is a reason soccer is superior to other sports. It's traditional and does not need technology to slow it down to the point where every disputed play has to be reviewed by replay. What needs to happen is the addition of two additional linesmen that sit behind the goals for each team. They should have flags like the regular linesmen and should only use them to flag whether the ball has crossed the line but no replay should decide the outcome of the game. I like the simplicity of the game and nothing should be allowed to slow it down like meaningless and time consuming replay to reverse or confirm calls.
+1

good say pavlos

I think the goal line monitoring will be the only thing implemented. It won't detract from the game in the slightest since the end result of that incident would be some kind of dead ball situation anyway. Unlike MLB and NFL, soccer flows as a game and there are no set stops in the game by which a real time replay system (to do offsides etc.) can really be used. The thread title was slightly misleading since it is most likely not going to be a video replay system (although it is a possibility) but rather introducing some real time technology.