• Views 1,654 Views

Dunder

In Trans I Gent
Since
Feb 8, 2010
Score
Tokens
Preview:

On Thursday of last week the FIA issued a "clarification" regarding the rules on active/self-leveling suspension.

Red Bull's advantage in qualifying so far has been attributed to them having some sort of system on the car which allowed the ride height to be reduced in low-fuel qualifying despite no adjustments being allowed between Q1 and the start of the race.

McLaren had said that they had a system of their own which would be used for the first time in China and was assumed to be using a similar principle to that on the Red Bull car. They have since said that the FIA ruling means that work on the system has been suspended ant that it will not be deployed. Red Bull, however say that their car is not affected by the ruling.

I am not sure what to make of this and the truth will only be known after qualifying.

Shanghai has the longest single straight of any circuit (1.15km long) which should see McLaren's F-Duct (The fluidic valve which stalls the rear wing) come into it's own, allowing them to overtake at will if necessary. It does not solve the MP4-25's deficiencies in slow/twisty corners of course.

The current weather forecast calls for cool but dry conditions on Friday and Saturday but there is a 40% chance of rain at race time.

No bets for me at the moment, one thing to look out for in practice is top speeds. Last year the fastest car reached 321km/h, I expect this to increase with the McLarens exceeding 330. If they are 5km/h faster in a straight line, other cars cannot defend position.

Last edited:
Like the info. I will naturally be on the same plays since we are one of the same or something like that. :anlight:

Just caught a snippet that Ferrari intend to test its own version of an F-Duct on Alonso's car in Friday practice.

A McLaren to win the race
Max bets at Paddy Power, BoyleSports, Stan James and BetFred with odds ranging from +255 to +320

Decided to take a punt that:

a) The regulation clarification will, in fact, have an affect of the Red Bulls
b) McLaren will find at least a partial solution to the issues that they seem to have in low-fuel qualifying.

I would still expect Red Bull to qualify better but McLaren to, again have the better race pace. Likelihood of rain during the race is currently 30%.
I don't see Ferrari being being a major factor in terms of competing for the win here.

I also like the fact that Button seems quite comfortable with setup, he always goes well when not having to find time on a Saturday morning.

Sebastian Buemi's suspension explodes.
At first I wondered whether this might have something to do with the ride height/suspension clarification but that seems less likely now. He is very, very lucky that both sides failed at the same time and that the car stayed level, bear in mind he would be hitting 330km/h (210mph) as he went on the brakes.

buemibih2.gif

Attachments

• buemibih2.jpg
    buemibih2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Followed. McLaren to Win the Race +250

ty

One car in the top three in qualifying would put us in very good shape I think, RJ.
Both in the top 5 is my hope.

gl to the both of you

I'm confident we can get in the top 5.

kato this is a man that traveled across the world for this race, more people should be following

i agree, such dedication should mos def be rewarded.

I am bit baffled TBH.
Hamilton's car was bottoming out in Q3 but not in Q1 or Q2.

As good as Vettel is in the wet, I think our best hope (it would make for a better race too) is for rain tomorrow. Forecast suggests a 60% chance.

McLaren don't have the straight line speed advantage that I expected them to have so it is likely they are running more wing. They are the fastest through the speed traps and overtaking is possible but if it is dry they will have to get it done early in the race when their relative performance is best.

1271583266.jpg

Chalk one up for the good guys. :cheers:
Just have to work out how to get home now! My flight is scheduled for tomorrow night but it appears there is no chance of UK airports (or French, German or Swiss) re-opening by then. :eek1:

View attachment 304

Chalk one up for the good guys. :cheers:
Just have to work out how to get home now! My flight is scheduled for tomorrow night but it appears there is no chance of UK airports (or French, German or Swiss) re-opening by then. :eek1:

WE NEED UPDATES.

Seriously though, it's a real bad situation. Can you get a taxi cab from Italy? I'll throw you $1 to cover it.

WE NEED UPDATES.

Seriously though, it's a real bad situation. Can you get a taxi cab from Italy? I'll throw you $1 to cover it.

LOL, I could do with some updates myself.

My problem is that if the flight I am scheduled to go on is canceled, as seems likely, I will be part of a big queue of people wanting to get back to Europe (including about 2000 F1 personnel as it happens). It's 10pm here and the hotel also want to know by tonight whether I need to extend for another night.

I will think about it over some fried noodles, there is a street stall about two minutes away although I am not sure I can afford the RMB 6 (about 80 cents) price-tag.

Dunder, hope your on a plane home, but if not let us know how your doing buddy? :popcorn:?