European Manager Merry Go Round

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
Well, it happens every year in European football. One manager of a major club is fired and the rumors and speculation about who is going to replace him, who is going to replace the person who replaced him, and who is going to replace the person who replaced the person who replaced him. I could go on, but you get the idea. And the minute it starts, it doesnt stop until the start of the next soccer season.

On Friday, the merry go round cranked itself up and now is in full swing as Ciro Ferrara was sacked as the Juventus coach. After spending 14 years as a defender at Juventus, picking up 6 Serie A titles and a Champions League medal in 1996, Ferrara started out his post-player career as part of the staff of the Italian national sides 2006 World Cup campaign. In May 2009 he was installed as the Juventus interim coach following the firing of Claudio Ranieri after a poor string of results. Ferrara ended the 2009 season with a series of good performances by Juventus, enough to finish second in the league, and he was rewarded with the full time job in June 2009.

gakhoaaca.jpg

In his first full season he failed to qualify for the knock out stages of the Champions League and, after losing five of the last six games to leave Juventus in sixth place, the decision was made to terminate the relationship and to appoint Alberto Zaccheroni into the hot seat until the end of the season.

The first rumor of the merry go round, which had been whispered for the past week, is that Rafa Benitez of Liverpool is being courted to take the position at Juventus next season. Liverpool officials issued a statement denying that Benitez, who signed a long term contract at the start of the 2009 season, is leaving Liverpool. However, a combination of a poor season for Liverpool coupled with a lack of transfer funds and infighting by the American owners only adds fuel to the fire.

jakhbaaca.jpg

But, whatever happens in Liverpool, this is only the start of the European Manager Merry Go Round.

With the money problems Liverpool have, I cannot see them firing Benitez with the money they owe him. I think they are hoping Benitez walks away at the end of the year.

On one hand, he signed a long term contract with Liverpool last year (complete with control of a lot of aspects of the running of the club) so if the owners are now getting cold feet, orchestrating a chance for him to leave would be beneficial. On the other hand, if he does leave then no manager of his calibre (and despite this season, he's a very high calibre manager) will want to enter a job with all this excess baggage.

He should drop the beard, though.

Botafogo's Estevan Soarez got sacked after the first week of the season in the Rio championship, after they stole him from Barueri in October. Got replaced with Joel Santana, that had gotten sacked from the South Africa position in October.

:wacko:

On one hand, he signed a long term contract with Liverpool last year (complete with control of a lot of aspects of the running of the club) so if the owners are now getting cold feet, orchestrating a chance for him to leave would be beneficial. On the other hand, if he does leave then no manager of his calibre (and despite this season, he's a very high calibre manager) will want to enter a job with all this excess baggage.

He should drop the beard, though.

Agree polaroid. Being a fan of Liverpool, with their money problems, as much as I am unhappy with Benitez, I don't see them getting a better coach if he is gone.

Maybe if they finish 4th and make it to the Champions they could still get a good coach if Benitez left.

Benitez will never win the PL, its best he move on.