• Replies 48 Comments
  • Views 3,693 Views

IAG

R.E.M. enthusiast
Since
Apr 9, 2010
Score
Tokens
I finally made the leap. I figured Pogo needed a friend in his old age to rejuvenate him. I got her Friday at the shelter. . She is very sweet. I haven't named her yet, although I have a few candidates.

In any case, she just wanted to be near me or under the bed for the first day. Now she is exploring and I am getting concerned about home owner things like shedding, smell, destruction my new furniture, etc.

Any tips from those of you who have had cats would be appreciated. I really just don't want my house to smell or look like a house with a cat. I hear there are things you can spray so it stays off the counters etc. this whole process is new to me. I found the clumping litter very interesting. Does the smell mostly come from the litter box or is there an inherent cat smell? i'm not expecting a sterile home. I know that is the trade-off for the love of a pet. However, I would like to minimize the damage. Any tips on any subjects related to rearing would be appreciated. She is approximately one year old. She seems small to me, but maybe some just don't ever get that big.

The only advice I have is not what you want to hear from the sounds of it - so feel free to ignore it - but here it is anyway: don't worry about it.

Let the cat be a cat. Cats are amazing. They are athletic and beautiful and fun there will be fur and a bit of destruction and smell - and just say fuck it. It's worth it.

Like obviously scoop out the litterbox every day but don't make yourself crazy. That's all control issues with a cat will do - make you crazy. It's okay for life to be a bit messy sometimes.

If that is the cat in your profile pic, I'd say you should be proud.

The thing to strive for: acceptance.

One little thing: maybe don't feed the cat anything besides what's in her bowl. Take that approach right from the start.

That's what I did with my Muddy her whole life and she stayed fit and trim - and she never expected anything from the table or whatever. She was never unhappy about the food situation. So often I see people with cats that are fat and constantly begging for food from people's plates. That's because that's what they have learned.

Now I don't know if Muddy was just a very good cat that way; maybe some cats will turn into mooches regardless; but that was my experience with that.

One little thing: maybe don't feed the cat anything besides what's in her bowl. Take that approach right from the start.

That's what I did with my Muddy her whole life and she stayed fit and trim - and she never expected anything from the table or whatever. She was never unhappy about the food situation. So often I see people with cats that are fat and constantly begging for food from people's plates. That's because that's what they have learned.

Now I don't know if Muddy was just a very good cat that way; maybe some cats will turn into mooches regardless; but that was my experience with that.

Thanks. Yeah that is my plan. Both mom and I made the mistake of giving into Pogo's food demands and it definitely made him an unhealthy creature. This gal is on the svelte side now, and I want to keep it that way. At the shelter I bought a bag of dry food. I don't know if they should have both dry and wet, or if that is an unnecessary expense? That was another issue with Pogo. Once I started the wet food he never would eat the dry food again,

and food alone is costing me over $6.00 per day for him. Have an appointment with the vet next week so I imagine I can learn more then.

don't feed it antifreeze
:lol:

The only advice I have is not what you want to hear from the sounds of it - so feel free to ignore it - but here it is anyway: don't worry about it.

Let the cat be a cat. Cats are amazing. They are athletic and beautiful and fun there will be fur and a bit of destruction and smell - and just say fuck it. It's worth it.

Like obviously scoop out the litterbox every day but don't make yourself crazy. That's all control issues with a cat will do - make you crazy. It's okay for life to be a bit messy sometimes.

If that is the cat in your profile pic, I'd say you should be proud.

The thing to strive for: acceptance.

That IS my new cat so thank you. I like her. The picture makes her look lighter than she is. She's actually gray. Such a sweet temperament. I can't believe she has not acted out aggressively in any way since coming home. She did hiss at the dog once or twice but in a very soft way. I don't think Pogo even caught it.

I know what you are saying about accepting some things. However I plan on having lots of company over the summer, and don't want it smelling like cat piss. She is using the box, but I think she must have Peed somewhere that I can't see, as when I open the front door and come in from the outside I can smell it. I don't want to become one of those nose blind people and then invite others over.

It may be from the first few days when she was hiding a lot. I would imagine it will get better. If you have a recommendation on cat litter it would be appreciated. I am using tidy cats clumping litter for multiple cats. It says triple order protection so maybe that's as good as it gets

There is a product you can use to find stray cat piss. I guess you just spray it and it makes it glow in the dark or something ??

I forget how it works actually but my sister needed it when she combined houses with her now-husband and they both had two cats. There was a lot of cat stress over that and some peeing issues. I can ask her if you want more details. Probably googlable too.

More pics needed.

There is a product you can use to find stray cat piss. I guess you just spray it and it makes it glow in the dark or something ??

I forget how it works actually but my sister needed it when she combined houses with her now-husband and they both had two cats. There was a lot of cat stress over that and some peeing issues. I can ask her if you want more details.

More pics needed.
. I do! I have heard of something like that too, but if you could get more details like brand name, that would be awesome.

I don't know how to post pictures. I'll try to figure it out..until then I'll just post a new one in my profile each day

. She is hiding this afternoon. Pogo is bummed. He really wants to play, but kitty is not accommodating. She no longer runs away from him, but she hasn't gotten too comfortable either. I've read that most cats sleep all day and then our activity in the night. So far that has been my experience with her, but I wasn't sure if that was just because of the newness of everything?

WE NEED MORE PICS

I mean like.whenever it's convenient and stuff

Cats make their own schedules. Hers will probably revolve around you. Like if you're working or going away for certain set hours, she will get in the habit of sleeping then, and then want to be with you when you are available. They can definitely have some nocturnal tendencies though - particularly when they are young. You might hear some banging and crashing around in the night. They will bat around their toys and chase them.

Some cats can make the strangest sounds too. I remember one time thinking we had intruders downstairs talking to each other but it was just the cat being a freak.

I asked my sister about the stuff. Waiting for a response on that.

How about heuru7377485585885ujfirhjrjfi?

IAG
I don't know how to post pictures.

Wut? Lissen:

I assume since you can manipulate your profile pic, that you can take pictures and save them to your computer. So here's what you do. Go to imgur.com and create an account for yourself. Couldn't be simpler. Click sign up and fill in the blanks which I think is just an email, a password and a name you want to call yourself. IAG might work.

Boom, you have an account.

So now when you are signed in at imgur, hover over your name and there will be a drop-down menu. You will see Images. Click it. It will be empty at the start of course but you will see 2 options: Computer and Web. If you click on Computer you just navigate to wherever on your computer you have the pic and grab it. Either Double-click or click Open or whatever.

Boom, you will see a thumbnail of your pic on your Images page at imgur. Add as many as you want.

When you want to post one here - or wherever - click on the thumbnail on your Images page at imgur. That will call up the pic and you will see it front and center. From there just post it like you would any pic from the web.

i.e. - Right click - Copy Image Location - come to gamelive and click the Insert Image icon - paste that address in there and click OK.

Post pics of adorable cat with adorable little cat feet to gamelive. Bada boom, bada bing.

Last edited:
Iag I think you need to have a standoff with that dog.

180 a month on dog food is insane.

Put dry food in his bowl.

He eats it or dies. It's not like you are feeding him poison.

Quick story
I bought some fish and a tank and supplies off some guy on CL

He was Indian, moved treadmills and dabbled in the fish market.

That's what he did.

Anyway, when the food he gave me ran out...I bought some food.

Not the food he bought...the food I bought.

Fish wouldn't eat.

Food was sinking in the tank and fking it up.

So i stopped feeding them. I can't remember how much I paid for this set up but it was a couple hundred.

But I don't give a fuck.

These gd fish are gonna eat the food I bought or they are gonna go down the damn toliet.

Few days later I tryed feeding them again.

Fuck

No.

No eat.

So I waited 2 more days.

They ate. And I now am on my second can, tub, jar or whatever the fuck you call it.

Btw

We have a cat. His name is Mr Chips.

He lives outside and in the garage. I find dead mice and birds all over my driveway. He has cat friends.

Sometimes I buy him purina, sometimes I buy him alley cat.

Sometimes I run out of food and give him tuna.

Don't listen to mudcat, be a freak about the litter box or you will have paws that touched shit walking all over your house.

Buy him a little bed.

Wintertime Mr Chips can come in when he wants.

We have a deal..he can use one couch cushion. Anywhere else he gets the spray bottle.

He learned.

This is what my sister had to say:

We had a UV light. Eric thinks he bought it at Petsmart. It seems that yer cat pee glows under UV light.