• Replies 131 Comments
  • Views 9,736 Views

reno cool

Fuck You Mocha Joe
Since
Jan 29, 2010
Score
Tokens
When was the last time you personally played hockey in any setting?

I'm curious, who do we have left here? Muddy Matty, mr.Q, Plommer, Pucky AJ Cobra King, ...so maybe I get 2-3 answers I hope

I just watched 'Before The Bigs' on Ryan Getzlaf.

Basically they said that The Real Canada is in the West.

Ontario and Quebec are excluded.

I would imagine Plommer skates almost daily

I've never played actual hockey on ice.

Lots of street/cosom hockey.

Shut up.

double post bullshit

shut up

I played hockey for 15 years as a kid; non-competitive; We used to play a lot outside on our local outdoor rink and also a ton of street hockey. I also played a couple seasons of rec league as an adult.

I also refereed for about 10 years as well.

I only played organized ice hockey for about 2 years. Was not a good skater at a young age and lost interest.

I was excellent at road hockey though. I once played road hockey for 31 straight months.

Cosom hockey and floor hockey were also occasional things but road hockey was a constant.

Cosom hockey is played indoor on a gym floor. It's basically road hockey but with a slightly goofy plastic stick and there is a plastic ball rather than a tennis ball. Hmmm, doing a quick google image check, I guess there are variations. I don't even see one with the funky little stick I am remembering. But anyway, you get the idea.

DSC_0280.jpg

1544848988.jpg

I don't recall us having goalies who were all padded up that much neither.

This is the floor hockey I am talking about, with the no-blade stick and a ring. It can also be played on ice.

When chicks do it, it is called ringette.

300x200-Floor-Hockey.jpg

Oh and I didn't even answer the question.

The last time I played hockey? We had a weekly road hockey game (was technically tennis court hockey, not road) with some buddies into my early 20's. So that would have been ~1943.

You see, I'm old.

Ice hockey? I have a memory of a pick up game on an outdoor rink. Late high school.

wow, ringette. never thought such a thing could exist.

I wonder if US is more sport oriented than everywhere else. Seems like a lot of older people play something here.

Hockey is not only the most fun sport imo but also doesn't involve running. Which is good.

I don't know if you're drawing conclusions based on this thread but there are tons of Canadians of all ages that play hockey and doing other stuff.

I myself played a ton of sports - almost every damn sport you can think of - just wasn't a big ice hockey guy.

Oddly, I played a lot of soccer for many years - although I couldn't be less of a fan. But I played everything. Apart from all the big mainstream sports - basketball, football, tennis, golf, bowling - I did competitive diving, water polo, track and field (including triple jump!). I played baseball into my mid 30's.

I sometimes think about getting back into some kind of organized sport. Maybe I will. I get tons of exercise on the job but still - it would be a thing.

I just watched 'Before The Bigs' on Ryan Getzlaf.

Basically they said that The Real Canada is in the West.

Ontario and Quebec are excluded.

Ontario produces most of the Canadian players in the NHL.

Ontario's population is at least 4X or 5X that of any western province.

The population of Ontario and Quebec combined represents almost 2/3rds of the whole country.

Having lived in Western Canada and Ontario it didn't take long to realize that the resentment of Ontario by western Canadians is because of the imbalance of political power. Ontario and Quebec dominate federal politics.

Ontario produces most of the Canadian players in the NHL.

Ontario's population is at least 4X or 5X that of any western province.

The population of Ontario and Quebec combined represents almost 2/3rds of the whole country.

Having lived in Western Canada and Ontario it didn't take long to realize that the resentment of Ontario by western Canadians is because of the imbalance of political power. Ontario and Quebec dominate federal politics.

It's like that anywhere. I'm sure rural Ontario resents the Toronto metro area just like the state of Michigan resents the 5 county Detroit metro area.

Weird. I tried to find a pic of the cosom hockey stick we used but I don't see it anywhere.

It was roughly this shape except it had a solid, thick blade that was a bit concave on the front and back.

2433386-A-silver-floorball-stick-and-white-ball-Stock-Photo-floorball.jpg

Ooooh, that vented blade makes a lot of sense.

Let's start a Gamelive South Central Ontario Cosom Hockey League.

:pucky:

I can just imagine the pain I would be in the day after the first game.