Any whiskey drinkers?

• Start date
  • Replies 1,463 Comments
  • Views 118,633 Views
so you're saying I should throw a stick of wood into my bottle of Black Velvet?

My Fighting Cock-based cocktail was by far the most popular drink at the wedding.

1 part Fighting Cock
1 part tonic
Ground ginger
Lime slice
Cherry

:10:

I concur, that was a nice drink!

How you liking the Laga..?

I haven't opened the Laga yet. I did watch this peculiar review by a German guy:

Sounds amazing. Think I'm gonna go get a regular Laga 16 and keep yours for special occasions.

I got to get me one of those bottles and watch video again and replicate what he's doing.

I swear he said "seaweed" and "poutine."

I assume I heard wrong. Pretty sure about the seaweed part, though.

Didn't hear poutine, but seaweed is correct. He also mentions "iodine", which is typical of heavily peated scotches, especially Lagavulin.

Haha awesome.

When I was there, they were remodeling and no tours were offered. Some lady took us into a room with 2 comfy chairs and all 3 bottles they make. She handed us a glass each then left the room.

Pretty much stumbled out of there. It was a.t.a

Haha awesome.

When I was there, they were remodeling and no tours were offered. Some lady took us into a room with 2 comfy chairs and all 3 bottles they make. She handed us a glass each then left the room.

Pretty much stumbled out of there. It was a.t.a

:bowdown:

They prolly all tasted like the first one you tried, didn't they? Way too potent to sample different bottlings in one sitting.

I actually have a Laga 16 on my shelves, 1/4 bottle left. Having one RIGHT NOW. [insert weird German throat sounds]

Lucky bastards I can't afford this shit anymore when we hit the hard stuff it's out of a plastic cup at the bar so fuck you and your fancy shmancy shit that I miss.

They prolly all tasted like the first one you tried, didn't they? Way too potent to sample different bottlings in one sitting.

Yah my taste buds were pretty singed.. Almonds help.

Matty Rain's Ranking of Scotch Whiskies

Crack-Like
1. Dalmore 18
2. Lagavulin Distiller's Edition (1997/2013)
3. Ardbeg Uigeadail
4. Dalmore 10yo 1989

Excellent
5. Glenfarclas 21
6. Lagavulin 16
7. Highland Park 18
8. Highland Park 21
9. Ardbeg 10
10. Glenfarclas 17
11. Isle of Jura Prophecy
12. Highland Park 12
13. Royal Lochnagar Distiller's Edition
14. Macallan 18
15. Aberlour A'bunadh
16. Aberlour 18
17. Glenfiddich 15
18. Glenfiddich 18
19. Glenmorangie 10
20. Dalmore 12
21. Laphroaig 10
22. Dalmore 15
23. Glenfiddich 21
24. Johnnie Walker Blue
25. Glenlivet Nadurra Triumph 1991
26. Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve
27. Balvenie 12 Doublewood
28. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
29. Glenlivet 15

Good
30. GlenDronach 12
31. Johnnie Walker Green
32. Talisker 10
33. Johnnie Walker Black
34. Bowmore 12
35. Auchentoshan 12
36. Macallan 12
37. Glenfiddich 12
38. Whyte & Mackay Special
39. Johnny Walker Red
40. Isle of Arran 10

Bad
41. Ballantine's Finest

Can't believe I haven't updated this list in over 2 years. 2 additions - Lagavulin Distillers Edition (1997/2013) at #2 and Bowmore 12 at #34.

I got a 3-pack of Bowmore 50ml samplers (12, 15 and 18yo.) Only had the 12 so far and it's unremarkable. Medium peat and some strange sourness. It's meh.

Lagavulin Distillers Edition is as close to the perfect scotch as it gets. Lots of peat and smoke and a sweet sherry foundation to round things up. It's basically regular Laga 16 that spent 6 extra months in sherry casks.

Tastes close to my house blend of 1 part Ardbeg 10 in 2 parts Macallan Cask Strength.

If you like peat but aren't a fan of one-trick-ponys like Ardbeg 10, this Laga is the shit.

:boxcleanersdaddy: