Any whiskey drinkers?

• Start date
  • Replies 1,463 Comments
  • Views 117,950 Views
Tell us more. We're scotch newbies.

My dad has this huge collection of scotch. I can't name all the brands on the top of my head but on my wedding he opened up a couple of Johnnie Walker Blue and Green bottles.

The Green is supposed to be excellent. I can't say I'm in any rush to buy a bottle, but I'm curious enough that I'll order it if I spot it at a bar. Same goes for the Gold.

Blue Label is pretty good, but not $200 good, no way.

The Green is supposed to be excellent. I can't say I'm in any rush to buy a bottle, but I'm curious enough that I'll order it if I spot it at a bar. Same goes for the Gold.

Blue Label is pretty good, but not $200 good, no way.

I know they are expensive. I remember it was so smooth it was the best scotch I ever had. Maybe when you get married you can have a bottle of Green.

I gotta say, this Knob Creek Single Barrel is absolutely brilliant when mixed with Coke. It's so strong that it comes through with a lot of flavour even in a really tall glass.

I guess it's kind of a blasphemy to dunk this shit into pop, but whatever, its alcohol burn, like that of regular JD, needs to be tamed somehow. Using an overproof whiskey as a mixer seems appropriate.

9.5 Matty Rains as a Bourbon & Coke. Try it!

:cheers:

Eagle rare is more drinkable by itself than any whiskey I've tried. Is not one of my favorites mixed with cola though. Matty you should review Blantons.

Eagle rare is more drinkable by itself than any whiskey I've tried. Is not one of my favorites mixed with cola though. Matty you should review Blantons.

Glad you like Eagle Rare. It is an exceptional whiskey.

And yeah, I saw Blanton's at that fancy liquor store along with Basil Hayden's, Booker's and Baker's. Not sure which one to try first. If anyone has any insight on those, do tell.

I gotta say, this Knob Creek Single Barrel...I guess it's kind of a blasphemy to dunk this shit into pop...
not blasphemy, should be to each, their own as far as what tastes good. i've had that knob creek single barrel, and just about all my whiskeys get at least a splash of plain soda with some fresh mint. mint & soda for bourbons is like adding an olive and a few sprays from my dry vermouth spritzer for martini's, just sort of seems required. the carbonation and mint (really get more olfactory experience i think) helps cut some of the burn for me.

BB have you tried Jack Daniel's Single Barrel? There's barely any burn to it when drank neat and it has that unmistakable JD flavour profile, with more wood and less banana. If it was any cheaper I'd rank it at #1.

I just poured myself one. Goddamn that shit is good. :cheers:

Good shit. What's your fave?

We also need Daffy to chime in here.

We're gonna pour ourself an Aberlour A'bunadh when we're done sipping this marvelous JD Single Barrel.

:cheers:

nope, have steered away from jack daniels in recent years. will have to check it out. i'm nursing a templeton rye tonight, rocks.

Next time you're at the bar and feel like having whisky ask for a Glenmorangie. The basic one is widely available and it's sweet like bourbon. Excellent stuff. 8.8 Matty Rains.

doubt my regular place has it
about the only whiskey they have is from Jim to Jack :lol:
cant say I've ever seen a bottle of scotch behind the bar

Prolly only Johnnie Walker, eh?

Gimme regular JD over *any* JW.

Johnny Walker Blue is WAY overpriced. Absolutely no character or finish.

Correct. I only had the one shot paid for by a drunken boss who did not realize that it was $38. :rofl: Anyway it was way way better than the Black and Red, but pretty forgettable as far as whiskeys go.

Matty, have you tried Oban 2000?

It is supposed to be as close to a finish the caskers intended. The way it is bottled is supposed to cut out any impurities that may affect the aroma and taste of the scotch.

I think I saw it for $300 a bottle. Will need to search out local NY scotch haunts for this stuff.

Bookers is not in the same area code as Makers or Bulleit

I remember Matty once LOL'd @ us when we sung the praises of a 14 yr Balvenie Carribean Cask

But we have Matty to thank for the Bourbon List

The best bourbon is still better than the best Scotch IMO

Had eagle rare single barrel last night. Great stuff.