Any whiskey drinkers?

• Start date
  • Replies 1,460 Comments
  • Views 116,516 Views
It's a little more woody...oaky. The way the liquor store nerd explained it, they put these 46 oak slats in the barrels so there's more oak contact with the bourbon.

Whatevah man.

I got to try a bunch more bourbons/whiskeys a couple nights ago during a corporate-sponsored outing.

Woodford Reserve something or other = strong alcohol taste at first, but it mellows down as it gets diluted in ice. Awesome oily caramel taste. Still prefer Maker's Mark over this but this is top-notch stuff.

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel = great stuff too, seems overpriced for what tastes like a more refined version of Old No. 7 (the classic JD bite is there - it isn't in Gentleman Jack) but I'm a JD fan so this gets two thumbs up

Wild Turkey 80 = very light color, strong corn taste, smells like varnish. Not a fan. Would probably be good as a mixer.

Also had Johnny Walker Black Label = disgusting stuff. I hate scotch. I think it's mostly barley? Tastes like medicine.

Matty Rain's Ranking of Bourbons and American Whiskeys So Far
1. Maker's Mark
2. Woodford Reserve Something or Other
3. Jack Daniel's Single Barrel
4. Gentleman Jack
5. Jim Beam Black
6. Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 (ranks really high as a mixer though)
7. Wild Turkey 80

I may be forgetting a couple, including the Bulleit I only tried once. I suspect that it would sit between JD Single Barrel and Gent Jack.

Matty, let's wax poetic over a single malt scotch in the French Quarter.

One time.

Daffy you can have your uppity single malt shit, Ima have my rugged American corn-based stuff. I tried some Glenfiddich 12yo during Christmas Eve and while it wasn't bad, it confirms that I don't like scotch as a whole.

Finally got around to buying a bottle of Bulleit, which I only tried the one time. It came with a glass. F to the A to the N to the C to the Y, yo.

129348847059600.jpg

I have to do some shuffling around of my rankings. Be right back.

1. Maker's Mark
2. Jack Daniel's Single Barrel
3. Bulleit
4. Woodford Reserve Something or Other
5. Gentleman Jack
6. Jim Beam Black
7. Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 (ranks really high as a mixer though)
8. Wild Turkey 80

Woodford drops a couple spots after further tasting - alcohol content overwhelms the taste, even on the rocks. Bulleit is excellent and as I remembered, perfectly balanced with a strong woody palate. Maker's Mark remains at #1 for its complex blend of sweet and woody aromas and maple-syrup viscosity.

:cheers:

:lookatmei'mdrinkingbourboni'mabadassargharghargh:

ever tried Red Stag
it is bad:tully:
whiskey mixed with black cherry flavor.
I had about 8 shots within about an hr at a concert, mixed with a few Yagers
:tully::tully::tully: insued shortly after

Black Label. Have yet to try the White, which would be a fair comparison with Old No. 7.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a JD fan, but cheap whiskey is cheap whiskey. It tastes green compared to the small-batch stuff that's barely more expensive.

ever tried Red Stag
it is bad:tully:
whiskey mixed with black cherry flavor.
I had about 8 shots within about an hr at a concert, mixed with a few Yagers
:tully::tully::tully: insued shortly after

I've seen that. I don't know why anyone would even consider buying that.

We need Jello posting here.

1. Maker's Mark
2. Jack Daniel's Single Barrel
3. Bulleit
4. Woodford Reserve Something or Other
5. Gentleman Jack
6. Jim Beam Black
7. Jack Daniel's Old No. 7
8. Jim Beam White
9. Wild Turkey 80

New addition at #8, Jim Beam White. Cheapest American Whiskey you can buy at the LCBO. This is much much better than the very vile Wild Turkey 80, but the alcohol burn is pretty intense, la JD No. 7, and its young age shows. Tastes almost like a light scotch with the addition of corn sweetness. Mixes really well with Coke. Nothing bad to say about it.

I'm going to have to try the JS Single Barrel based on these rankings.

You get the 101 though mike? We don't get it in Canada for some reason. The 80 is nasty.