80 years young Jack McKeon likely coming out of retirement to manage the Marlinsl

• Start date
  • Replies 12 Comments
  • Views 1,530 Views

Tron

Since
Jan 28, 2010
Score
Tokens
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/#ixzz1Pl5DlETZ

McKeon.jpg

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria was "surprised" by manager Edwin Rodriguez's resignation on Sunday, according to a source, and would like for 80-year-old former skipper Jack McKeon to return to the Marlins dugout as interim manager through the end of this season.

Loria was in Europe on business when informed of Rodriguez's decision.

McKeon became the oldest manager to win a World Series when he guided the Marlins to the 2003 title but would not be the oldest manager in major league history if he returns to the Marlins. That title belongs to Connie Mack, who was 87 when he managed the Philadelphia Athletics in 1950.

McKeon has maintained an advisory role with the Marlins since stepping down after the 2005 season, and is listed officially as "special assistant to the owner."

When contacted by phone at his home in North Carolina earlier today, McKeon said he wasn't even aware of Rodriguez's resignation and had not yet been contacted by the Marlins, but said he thought he could do the job if asked. The source said that McKeon is Loria's first choice to manage the club the rest of the way, and an announcement could come Monday before the Marlins open a home series against the Angels

ESPNStatsInfo ESPN Stats & Info
#ELIAS: The Marlins are the first team to go 1-18 (or worse) in 19-game span since the '05 Royals lost 19 straight gms from July 28-Aug 18.

:guitar:

Hope he goes for it! Bring some life to that team!

Funny that he said he would have to check with wife if it would be OK to manage. :grin:

Wow. 80 years old. That means there's still hope for you yet someday, Mr. Monkey. Better hurry up though!

mister monkey if gamelive ever have a softball team you're our man

I love Mckeon

Joe Pa will still last longer then him

Wow. 80 years old. That means there's still hope for you yet someday, Mr. Monkey. Better hurry up though!

Got plenty of time my friend! I'm only 53! Days I wake up slow and aching but a few cups of java and I'm ready!!!

McKeon will be in the Marlins dugout tonight

The last 11 games that the Marlins have been involved in where the outcome was decided by 1 run, the Marlins are 0-11 in those games.